Discount Two-Way Radio Warns Consumers: Watch Out for Narrowband Compliance Scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've seen this going on for a few years now. While the timing is appropriate, this is info that a lot of users could have used many years ago.

Just like the companies that send out license renewal notifications with threatening verbiage, and they'll gladly take a handful of your money to renew your license.

Buyer beware.

vdubb16

yea same here, it blows my mind how everyone in our county fell for the sales gimmick that we needed new radio. Even flipped around a couple frequencies alotting them to different purposes to make it appear that we had NEW frequencies, all so the shop who was doing the bid for the county could get their fingers on every radio in the county to reprogram, or be the one to bid for new equipment, and spread their ****ty service everywhere.

talkpair

I'm surprised the radio industry hasn't taken a lesson from big oil companies and cut production to create an artificial shortage to drive up the price.

When you consider that a lot of agencies have put this off until the last minute, with no extension to the deadline in sight, it would seem like the perfect plan.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not to rip on Motorola (although it is fun), they did recently end of life a number of good products. MTR-2000 repeaters are gone, a good solid workhorse. You gotta buy an MTR3000 now, or a Trbo repeater. I think Quantars are gone, but I could be wrong.

CDM's are going away, an excellent radio at a decent (for Motorola) price.

I'm sure the list goes on...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
and this is a great way for those in the radio hobby and community to step up and do something positive by offering unbiased, accurate information to the decision makers before spending OUR tax money (which is spread thing right now).

Even if they choose to ignore and spend it anyway, at least they will be on record ignoring their constituents and cannot deny they weren't told different.

I've said it before, and it's worth reiterating: you cannot trust someone's who makes a living selling a product to give you fair, accurate unbiased information on whatever they are selling. It's up to the consumer.

It's long time to make our local and state governments into better consumers.
If we don't, who will?

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Lessee... I think that the equation is... There is a sucker born a minute. The corollary to it is... For every sucker born *at least* 6 `con artists' are there ready to `service' them.

`Props' to "Discount Two-Way Radio Corporation" in trying to `cleanse the pool' with their announcement. Almost restores my faith in the mercantile `world' but, for every one like them there seems that there are at least a dozen or two that are more than willing to wield the `chrome dildoe' whilst making the customer provide their own "KY Jelly". {SNARL!}

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I took care of modifying our Town's licenses for the ambulance and highway departments last year. Except for installing a couple of radios that we have already received, we're all set for the NB deadline.

But just yesterday, I got a panicky phone call from the Town Clerk and Highway Superintendent because they received another one of these post cards threatening the end of the world and heavy fines if the license is not modified right away through some company's outrageously expensive service. If took me several minutes to get them calmed down and reminded that I already did all that and that we are all set for this whole thing.

It just infuriates me that these companies are sending out these phoney notices to licensees who have already modified their licenses. And the fees they charge to do this are ridiculous! We're a governmental agency and exempt from all fees. But these companies want to charge nearly $300 to add 11K emissions to two lines of a single frequency license. Highway robbery is what it is.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I hope this article helps out more people, with getting the facts.

Being the radio officer for my agency, I have already gotten all be a few handhelds ready for the change.

The FCC is automatically adding the 11k to licenses, and has sent a letter saying that the 16k will automatically be cancelled on January 1, 2014.

I also laugh at those companies that send out the letters, especially when we're a local government agency, so our license is free.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

mmckenna said:
Not to rip on Motorola (although it is fun), they did recently end of life a number of good products.

The FCC mandate halted sale of 16k equipment. So all the manufacturers have dropped lines, at least in the US.

Last edited:

iamhere300

I hope this article helps out more people, with getting the facts.

Being the radio officer for my agency, I have already gotten all be a few handhelds ready for the change.

The FCC is automatically adding the 11k to licenses, and has sent a letter saying that the 16k will automatically be cancelled on January 1, 2014.

I also laugh at those companies that send out the letters, especially when we're a local government agency, so our license is free.

Where did you hear the FCC is automatically adding 11k to licenses? If they are - this is new and it goes against all they said they were going to do.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
I received an invoice from a radio shop the other day that said "FCC license renewal" for $300. Knowing our license was good for another 3 years, I called them on it. They said it was for narrowbanding. I said, "You know you can do that for free online?" After some stuttering, they said to ignore the invoice. :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The FCC mandate halted sale of 16k equipment. So all the manufacturers have dropped lines, at least in the US.

Not yet. What they halted was the sale of equipment that would ONLY do 16K emissions. Sale of equipment that will do both 16K as well as 11K is still allowed. In fact, I recently bought 400 Kenwood NexEdge radios, and they will all do 25KHz analog, as well as 12.5 analog/digital and 6.25 digital.

XTS3000

Years ago I got my GMRS license, shortly after, I received a letter from the PRSG telling me that if I didn't buy their "rules" book, I'd be operating illegally. Gotta love companies who prey on license holders.

12dbsinad

Very nice article. Reminds me of not too long ago a small police/fire dispatch center repalcing thier current production Zetron dispatch console(s) because they were not narrowband compatible. I have heard of everything from speaker microphones, to vehicle antennas, base station antennas and even heard of one that needed to replace an entire run of perfectly good 7/8 hardine to the new base antenna. Plus you can't leave out the big one... the switch to digital and replacing everything. Because you have too, everyone is going digital...That is the most lucrative move of course for the "scammers".

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Where did you hear the FCC is automatically adding 11k to licenses? If they are - this is new and it goes against all they said they were going to do.

I agree. I haven't seen this. We've had to file modifications for all our licenses to add 11K emission designators to them. Standard procedure has been to add 11K to them, leaving the 16K in place. Sometime down the road we will have the 16k emissions removed.

It was added to our licenses, without any action on our part.
The FCC will not modify licenses (at least automatic blanket changes don't appear to be planned). Right now it's up to each licensee to add narrowband emissions. After the first of the year, the wide emissions won't be valid and would most likely be batched out. The caveats are printed on the licenses. Most likely someone did this for your agency/organization. Go into ULS and see the transaction log under the admin tab to see what happened and when.

Status
Not open for further replies.