Discriminator Port & Data Slicers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
There are many varied posts, thread & groups describing what a discriminator port is and how to build or purchase data slicers.

To my knowledge after many hours of research there is no thread discussing how to hook the stuff up and
make it work. Now it may be intuitive to some but others of us may need a little more information and discussion about these subjects.

I have several computers and many years of computer knowledge and schooling. I have many scanners. The newest ones I can connect with a usb to serial converter cable to the computer and use a piece of software (yet several other discussion groups and threads) and see the results of the control channel output decoded.

I have experienced the sight of another RR member's setup which utilizes older scanners to decode and play the audio of the voice channel using a data slicer. To be much more precise - one scanner set to a control channel connected through a discriminator port is connected to a computer's serial port through a data slicer feeding the control channel output to the software installed in the computer - which in turn is connected to yet another scanner which the software tells the second scanner what actual frequency to tune to at that moment to hear the voice information. All the time logging the tgid's and frequency info, including priority info for each tg and hits on frequencies so you can tell the order the frequencies are used in sequence.

I have plugged in my scanners into the computer and been able to decode control channel with new pro-197's. I can decode but cannot hear the voice audio through my computer speakers or the speaker in the radio. I hope the next innovation installed in these new fangled scanners is bluetooth or wifi which would allow you to decode on one scanner and play corresponding voice on yet another so this process is much easier.....LOL (I think this paragraph is just covered by about three other discussion topics, threads, stickies, radio forums and posts).

How do we setup scanners on the control channel we want to decode - connect the hardware with cables etc....and get something out of it which resembles a consistant voice conversation using computer aided decoding software?

Its not like sending a man to the moon - more like trying to bring the moon back home in the astronaut's backpack which seems to be the problem!!.....LOL

My point in starting this thread is to help pull knowledge of our scholars here are RR into a conversation which takes all the wonderful "this is how it's defined," and "This is how to build it," into something we can actually use!

I have several older scanners which are all 800MHz capable but not trunk trackers not ready for retirement. My hope is to set these up to decode, log, and play trunk system so I can help feed useful data back to the group. I have many new scanners which boast a host of features which are covered in another forum somewhere but do not describe how to get the most out of these features.

Hopefully this information will help tie together all the posts to the forums which seem to be stragglers where new members or old timers getting new equipment can be shown how to take all the information and put it to work. P.S. We want PICTURES.....LOL

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
How do we setup scanners on the control channel we want to decode - connect the hardware with cables etc....and get something out of it which resembles a consistant voice conversation using computer aided decoding software?

Read this to get the right recording level.

Audio Recording Level Adjustment

P.S. We want PICTURES.....LOL

You did not say what model but I see elsewhere you have a PRO-95. The wiki has what you seek.

Pro 93/95/96 Tap - The RadioReference Wiki

Solder a resistor or capacitor to TP4. Solder a wire to the other lead of this component. Solder another wire to scanner's internal ground. Cut the wires long enough to reach outside the case. You can either drill a hole for a 1/8th headphone jack or have a short pigtail hang outside the case.

Follow the leveling instructions above. You may need to use a different value resistor or capacitor to get best results. More pictures? Okay, here are screenshots of a few waveforms:

Unitrunker

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Unitrunker,

I believe you might be showing off just slightly......LOL (Its a great thing keep it up!!)

Yes, one of the scanners I'm currently using is a Pro -95. Also using a Pro-39, Pro-107, Pro-2066, Pro-2052, Pro-2003, Pro-41, Uniden BC355C and my most recent acquisition from xmas (2) Pro-197's.....

I had seen the tap info for TP4 in the wiki recently and thank you for pointing it out. The graphs and info about uniscope I hadn't seen! What a find and the screenshots are very helpful!

The first question that arises is how do you turn the mono output of the 1/8" female jack mounted into the case into stereo input for the sound card in the computer or is unitrunker only looking for signal on left or right channel only?

The Pro-197's are using stereo input....

Second Question.....Once I have the signal output of the Pro-95 from TP4 fed to the sound card and Unitrunker software all configured....where do I extract the voice audio from so I can hear what's being broadcast on the particular vc it's tracking?

Thanx for your awesome reply!

Paul

SCPD

QRT
When configuring a receiver, you designate what role the receiver serves - either signal or voice. To follow voice calls you need at least one signal receiver and at least one voice receiver. You can configure as many receivers as you like.

The '197s are very easy to set up. No tap needed. Suggest you start there. Configure both as Inline type receivers. Designate one as signal, the other as voice. Use Tune or TSYS Analyze on the signal receiver to select a control channel.

SCPD

QRT
The first question that arises is how do you turn the mono output of the 1/8" female jack mounted into the case into stereo input for the sound card in the computer or is unitrunker only looking for signal on left or right channel only?
It is configurable. You can feed discriminator audio from two separate receivers into one stereo input.

Status
Not open for further replies.