Discriminator tap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Question for the group.... I was playing around with a few of my tapped radios to see if I could get better decoding from them. I typically monitor a local EDACS system and while using a tapped Pro-43 as the source my decode rate would typically be in the high 90's, if not 100%. I swung my setup over to a Pro-2045 that I tapped years ago and had been using for monitoring a VHF Motorola system with Trunk88. When I use the 2045 on the EDACS system, the decoding is abysmal.. down in the 60/70% range (using EWTrunk). Using UniScope I can get a decent 'eye pattern' on the Motorola system, but nothing but fuzz on the EDACS system (with the sample rates set to 3600 & 9600 respectively). I tried different combinations of caps and resistors on the tap with no change (the Pro-43 is just using a 10k inline on the tap, no capacitor).

I guess basically I'm asking... have others here found that some scanners just plain have crappy discriminator audio and are poor choices for driving decoding software?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would assume that's possible - however, before we throw the bathwater out with the baby (so to speak) a more reasonable question to ask is if the point you tapped on the 2045 is correct? I don't have my reference CD at work, but can get to it tonight and see if it has it. A little research might be in order here. 73 Mike

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
From all the references I've seen, I'm on the correct spot. And as I mentioned it works great for Motorola decoding. Just generally sucks at EDACS.

Status
Not open for further replies.