Discriminator Taps as a standard feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go-24

Any scanner ship with a discriminator tap already installed as a standard feature?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually if memory serves, the PCR1000 and 100 both have it; and for those that are hams, many 2m/440 radios have a 9600 baud output on either an accessory or on the mic jack on an unused pin that is quite suitable for things like Trunker, ect.

73s Mike

VHFSMR

The Icom R-8500 has it to. Real easy to find on any scanner with O scope.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have some Yaesu FT-8800s. Does anybody know where I get the discriminator tap on this?

CrewRest

Database Admin
The OptoCom has both a slicer output off of pin 6 (CTS) on the serial port and a discriminator output of the aux speaker output.

Doug Anderson
KG4QCR

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The AOR AR5000 and 8600 have a pin on the ACC socket that is Discriminator Audio.

Various Icoms have it. Icom uses 9600 baud Packet Output as the description.

73 Eric

Go-24

ka3jjz said:
Actually if memory serves, the PCR1000 and 100 both have it

I will have to check them out - I don't want to mess with pins and such; I just want to plug straight in without any mods, and start decoding ;)

Sure would be nice if todays scanners BCT15, BCD996T, etc already had them installed. Surely it wouldnt cost them much in manufacturing to add them; oh well, I am off to look.

Thanks.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I own a couple OS-535 boards and I have often wondered if I could pull disrim. off the CI-V 1/8 " jacks. The board has two 1/8 " jacks labeled CI-V and a 1/8 " jack for the scout. I know the scout jack is just for reaction tunning however.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
You can't pull it off the CI-V ports, but you can very easily add a headphone jack to the back of the OS-535 and then pull the discriminator audio off of the OS-535 board.
There are a couple of posts on some web sites that describe this:
http://transceiver.w8jaz.com/index.php?name=Content&pid=409

There is actually an even easier spot to tap the discriminator on the OS535 board.
I will take a picture of it when I get home, but it is pretty easy to find.

poltergeisty said:
I own a couple OS-535 boards and I have often wondered if I could pull disrim. off the CI-V 1/8 " jacks. The board has two 1/8 " jacks labeled CI-V and a 1/8 " jack for the scout. I know the scout jack is just for reaction tunning however.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
you know, i've been scanning for years, but never fully understood the "tap" thing what is it exactly used for? and what are the benefits, etc? That being said, if the benefits are so great, why isn't it standard instead of having to do a mod which violates your warranty?

Joe

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
joetnymedic said:
you know, i've been scanning for years, but never fully understood the "tap" thing what is it exactly used for? and what are the benefits, etc? That being said, if the benefits are so great, why isn't it standard instead of having to do a mod which violates your warranty?

Joe

Most people use it to "tap" into the unfiltered audio. They feed this data into a computer via different means to allow them to use programs such as Trunker, UniTrunker, T4WIN, etc. If you have never used any of these programs and are into monitoring trunked radio, then you don't know what you're missing. They completely take all of the guess work out of getting data for unknown systems. It also helps in confirming unknown/new tal groups and other various changes to existing trunking sites,

Not sure why manufacturers don't make it standard.

morfis

Go-24 said:
Any scanner ship with a discriminator tap already installed as a standard feature?

To add to those already mentioned:

AOR AR8200
Alinco DJ-X10
Alinco DJ-X2000

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
You can use Pro96com on the Pro-96/2096 to decode a 9600bps control channel using the already supplied PC/IF jack on the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.