Discriminator taps on various Uniden scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
Take the scanner apart so you can see the circuit boards and figure where you are going to mount the chassis jack. if the scanner can be tapped there will be a solder pad on the board that says "disc", use that pad to use for the discriminator tap.

nosig55

When you have the scanner apart, look for the numbers on the chip(s). That website list the receiver chips. https://www.discriminator.nl/ic/index.html
You may find your IC on there and go from there. Only problem on some older scanners is they don't support the band plan changes and you can't enter the exact frequency you may want. I find it interesting to find old scanners at thrift stores or garage sales and tap them.

Ubbe

The SDS200 doesn't have any discriminator point, it's totally digital in microprocessors. By the time it's converted to analog audio it's already filtered to feed the analog audio circuits. But there might be a way to get a digital stream from the scanners discriminator. I know that Uniden had a driver for the HP1/2 scanners that made it possible to use the digital stream but I don't know if it actually where someone that made a program to use that data.

/Ubbe

paul612

Premium Subscriber
With RTL dongles so cheap and easily available I don't see the need to do discriminator taps on scanners any more

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The SDS family incorporates SDR in the design, there is not any tap points in them.

merlin

Remove both covers and look at the bottom of the board. A test point is marked 'disc'. Find a suitable location on the back panel for a 3.5 MM stereo jack. Mount the jack, solder L&R together with a 100K resistor, one end. Use such as audio coax, hots to the loose end of the resistor.
The other end hots, solder to the DISC test point. Reassemble the scanner. The purpose of the resistor is to neutralize the DC component at the discriminator. Varies + - with frequency. You will need an outboard audio preamp to get a 1V P-P signal for the computer line input.
This should work great for DSD, Multipsk or what ever decoding software you are using.
What I did with my scanner and works like a charm.

ludek-brno

With RTL dongles so cheap and easily available I don't see the need to do discriminator taps on scanners any more

PC IF or discriminator output is needed !!
I also have a discriminator on my BCD436HP and with a pocket PC laptop in the field.

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Anybody know the best spot to add a discriminator tap to a Uniden BC365CRS, BC370CRS, or SDS200 scanner?

I know this thread is a few months old but check to see if the BC365CRS/BC370CRS have the NJM2552 like the BC360CLT does.
If so the unfiltered audio is pin #11

I was able to do a tap on the Radioshack Pro-136 which is the same as Uniden's BC360CLT via same IC

.11.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.