Dislikes in TRX1 - Will SDS100 be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
I'm seriously considering a fully-optioned SDS100 to replace my TRX1. I've got a few older Unidens, but none with DMR. Before I spend the money, I'd like to solicit some real-world feedback from SDS100 owners.

I do a lot of 'searching' with my TRX1, and there's a lot of DMR and P25 in my area. The TRX1 doesn't seem to decode digital unless it hears the initial frames of the transmission, and will just blast noise if it lands on an ongoing transmission. How does the SDS100 handle this scenario? Will it decode 'mid-stream'?

The TRX1 version of close-call (spectrum scan) is awful. Everyone has read the complaints by now I am sure - but what kills it for me is how it handles skips and lockouts. If you skip a few frequencies within 1Mhz each other, it will ignore that entire 1Mhz as it continues to search. I would like to skip things like telemetry or trunking control channels but still be able to recieve nearby signals. Again, how does the SDS100 work in this regard?

On the topic of searching - are the band limits able to be modified? In other words, If I wanted to use the 'close call' function, but only between x and y frequency... can I set those, or are they predefined by the radio? Can I have more than one set of user-selectable band limits?

Thanks all. I appreciate the help!

kd1sq

Database Admin
Suggestion - why not buy one of the improved dongles - like the one from rtl-sdr.com, subscribe to the DSD+ Fastlane service and use that for listening to DMR?

Cost you under $50 for both - and you wouldn't have to buy a new scanner. Also fun and teaches you some new tricks.

I use a pair of those dongles for following the Maine state communications network.

Just a thought.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
If the signal is weak the Uniden will continue trying to determine the mode of transmission. (it won't crap out or give up)
The avoid function will not lock out an entire 1 MHz chunk of spectrum during searches. (Just the frequency you avoid/LO)
You can have 10 totally customizable search presets. Any mode, Any frequency range, and Step.
It works great (y)

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses! I picked up an SDS100 today and so far it's doing much better than the TRX1. There is one thing that I can't seem to find/figure out related to search/close call. I'll start a new thread for that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.