Dismal battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

Ordered one, got it today.. Is yours...noisy? Man, sounds like a capacitor is gonna blow up...

No. Completely silent. Amazon will take it back no questions asked. You got a bad one. Happens with everything, even Uniden radios.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
No. Completely silent. Amazon will take it back no questions asked. You got a bad one. Happens with everything, even Uniden radios.

It works, just kinda weird.. Comparing this charger to my other one (a Nitecore) there's no comparison. Took two batteries that showed charged out of the Nitecore, let them rest for 5 minutes, and put them in the Eastshine.. They showed 1.32 volts and the Eastshine finished charging them...

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It looks good but everything I have takes at least 3 batteries so it wouldn't be practical for me. I'll stick with my MH-C9000.

milcom_chaser

I have a question, is it true that monitoring digital uses more power as the radio has to work harder to decode the different systems?

Well I decided to hook up the 325P2 to a cheap DVM and photograph some measurements. I used a USB cable and a cigarette lighter to USB 5V adapter that had a LED built in.

Here are the first set of photos...

Attachments

• 325P2_Cig Lighter to USB.jpg
    325P2_Cig Lighter to USB.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 325P2_Charge Off.jpg
    325P2_Charge Off.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 325P2_Charge On.jpg
    325P2_Charge On.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 325P2_Hold Lite Off.jpg
    325P2_Hold Lite Off.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 325P2_Hold Lite On.jpg
    325P2_Hold Lite On.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 213

milcom_chaser

325P2 Current Measurements Continued

Here are the photos of the 325P2 current measurements during Phase II decoding with Backlight Off, On, and Phase II scanning...

Volume was set to mid point.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 325P2_Phase II Lite On.jpg
    325P2_Phase II Lite On.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

milcom_chaser

I'm running the Maha Energy MH-C401FS charger which supports individual charging of up to four batteries, and a few sets of Maha PowerEx 2700Ma AA batteries. The radio seems last a number of hours.

I noticed at Walmart for around $10 they sell a slim, rectangular battery similar to the Mophie Juice pack which is used to charge Cell Phones. It claims it was rated at 5000mA or 5 amps. I could run a right angle, pig tail length USB Mini to USB charge cable, and use velcro fasteners to adhere it to the back of the radio for emergencies (major brushfires, boating accidents, excessively long baseball games, etc.)

Yet for $10, one has to question the quality of the battery pack...

Similar to this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Insten-4...sung-Galaxy-S7-S6-Edge-Note-5-On5-J/158072313

wtp

all things aside.

anytime i leave the house.
my 396T is in my front pocket.
3 spare cells are in my back pocket.
why would you leave without any of the above.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
That's all well and good. But at an hour and a half a set, on a 10-12 hour shift.. do the math. That's a lot of batteries in the pocket. Easier just to keep it plugged in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
And you've read the whole thread where I've tried batteries from several brands, right?

milcom_chaser

And you've read the whole thread where I've tried batteries from several brands, right?

Yes we've read it. Are you keeping the backlight on? Is battery save mode enable? Did u see my photos showing current consumption? I have experienced batteries not holding a charge, which can be frustrating. What specific charger are you using?
I don't have time to re-browse this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I saw your photos. Very enlightening. No backlight. Battery saver off. And I'm not retyping what charger.

milcom_chaser

Yes, I saw your photos. Very enlightening. No backlight. Battery saver off. And I'm not retyping what charger.

Battery save Off? Mine set to ON. The sampling ratio of that feature greatly helps...

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Battery save Off? Mine set to ON. The sampling ratio of that feature greatly helps...

As I've stated a couple times now, I keep the radio plugged in unless I moving between trucks. Problem solved

wtp

about battery saver

it only works when listening to a conventional system and locked onto one channel.
one thing we forgot to ask ...
what is the ratings on the cells.
they should be 2500's or so.
also with age they lose capacity.
so set the charger to give the capacity if you could.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.