Dismal battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

milcom_chaser

Yes use only one battery the other slot gets a dummy battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would put a rectifying diode like a 1N400x in series to drop the 0.7V and to prevent the radio from charging the cell.

But more concerning is that the 18650 form factor is larger than a standard AA, so I don't think it will fit.

But the idea is sound: use an AA form factor Li-ion 3.7V cell in place of the dual NiMH AA's. Finding a Li ion AA cell that has more capacity is the challenge I've run into. It would be swell if someone made a dual AA form factor Li ion battery so we can take advantage of the entire battery compartment for the higher power density that Li-ion has to offer. At one point I found a rechargeable camera battery that substituted for two AA's but the capacity wasn't worth it.

milcom_chaser

That version of the battery offered by Amazon mentioned it fit in various types of electronic devices. Interesting idea with the diode. If we new the max battery voltage spec, that would be helpful.

milcom_chaser

Are you talking about the batteries or the battery charger?

scosgt

14500 are AA size and would fit. But they are 3.7V, so unless you have some way to modify the circuits, they would fry the radio very quickly.

Using a 14500 would be sweet, and running it through a diode would drop it down to ~3V. But the 14500's I see on Amazon are only up to 2000 mAH, so no advantage over NiMH. I sense a business opportunity here :)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Beginning to wish I hadn't gotten rid of my 396t.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.