Disney Cruise Line Bans Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy20g

Have been on 11 Disney cruises since 2005, with embarkations in Port Canaveral, LA, San Juan, Venice, Barcelona. I have had a scanner with me every time and have never had one taken from me. Most were with an Icom R3, while the last few have been with an HP1.

I also took one on board the NCL Breakaway last year in NYC.

I don't seem to have any issues getting one in MSG either for NYR hockey games.

One of the more interesting things I heard was at a concert..... All the wireless feeds and the drummer's own click track were all able to be heard..

KD4UXQ

Last fall Royal Caribbean wouldn't let me bring my BCD436 on board.

Which RC cruise? Which ship? I planned to take my BCD396XT next year. Decided not to risk my BCD436HP. The ship will be close to the New England coastline so I wanted to monitor VHF marine and the P25 USCG channels and the port comms. I thought I might pack it in my luggage instead of my carry on bag. Or, carry it on with literature showing it isn't a HAM radio.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Just came back from a Norweigen Gem cruise. Did not take my 436 because I did not want to chance losing it or having it stolen. I did stick my Airspy mini in my laptop bag and enjoyed everything I was able to receive.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The rules don't apply to you. Take 'em all with you. I'm sure there are some Disney cruise employees who will have fun with 'em.

KA9JYO

Just bring a couple of Nextel phones that have the DIRECT TALK feature. The cruise lines love that, as they get to charge passengers big $ for cellular access on their system, only you'll be using your cell phone in simplex mode. 900 MHz spread spectrum.
That's what I use in a cruise, the crew thinks it's just a cell phone. They work great and they are private,no body can hear you using a scanner. Digital works good inside building with lots of metal.

paulears

Just been on a Costa ship and nobody cared what the guests were doing - saw a few families with the cheap PMR446 type kit, and two guys who I am certain were using network radios between themselves as wifi was ship wide. I did see the crew using marine radios and UHF conventional. Nobody really paid any attention.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Just an FYI, some cruise ships use a UHF repeater pair that has 10 MHz seperation The repeater falls on at least one GMRS frequenncy.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.