Disney Cruise Line Bans Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2nov

In planning a future cruise (my first), I had some questions. The FAQ on their websites bans the usual stuff, but the list ends with "ham radios". I called to get clarification and after 28 minutes of questions and waiting for answers, the upshot is that ALL radios will be confiscated before boarding and will be held until the cruise is over. Even their supervisors have no idea how a radio receiver does NOT transmit. Their idea to eliminate families from bringing FRS is to issue everyone a digital wireless device for person-to-person comms and patch to the ship's phone system. Every room has an AM/FM radio and they even have their own Radio Disney station. No need to bring your own shortwave portable - why would you want to listen to anything else? Disney sponsors their own employee ham radio emergency group, but won't allow a pocket HT or my DX-398? Who is running things, Goofy?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not really anything new.

Many years ago I took a cruise to Alaska and I had a 2 meter handheld with me. Upon boarding it was confiscated (Royal Caribbean). Apparently it was looked over by someone and it showed up later on that afternoon in the stateroom. While not "confiscated" it was taken from my possession for a while.
I wasn't offended, I figured that might happen when you walk into someone else's home, you have to follow their rules or get out.

As for the on board systems,
DECT phones are commonly used. They'll charge you a fee, but it'll give you coverage all over the ship as well as access to the on board PBX.
So, basically, charge you to use their system, rather than allowing you to bring your own.

Again, their house, their rules.

SCPD

QRT
I was thinking that or along lines of anti terrorism. Remember these major corporations do have firms and studies done regarding safety and security. But I'm sure it also has to do with monies and why let someone have freebies when we can charge. Think the water fountains at sea world.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've been on a couple of Disney cruises. It's a lot of fun. One thing I do when I cruise is shift mental gears... radios are one of the things I'm trying to get away from for a week. I don't even think about bringing one.

SCPD

QRT
It's Transceivers there after such as GMRS......

I've been on a couple of Disney cruises. It's a lot of fun. One thing I do when I cruise is shift mental gears... radios are one of the things I'm trying to get away from for a week. I don't even think about bringing one.

SCPD

QRT
What's with the water fountains at SeaWorld?

It was free. They removed them and charged above average for bottled water with sea world logo. Same concept here. Why let frs or gmrs go free wild when they can charge for a in house comm service to customers.

n2nov

OK, let's put aside the transmitters (ham, FRS, etc). Why ban receivers like AM/FM/SW? Also, Disney is not charging to use their digital comms system, so there is no $$$ incentive to ban HTs.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
There doesn't seem to be a set pattern. It looks like one would be at the whim of whoever is doing the checking.

paulears

It's always the Master of the vessel - if you are a UK amateur and want to operate from a ship in international waters, it must be with the permission of the Master (Captain). Radio emissions are this persons legal responsibility, so while they might be cool with ham radio, they equally might not be.

N4KVE

Just bring a couple of Nextel phones that have the DIRECT TALK feature. The cruise lines love that, as they get to charge passengers big $ for cellular access on their system, only you'll be using your cell phone in simplex mode. 900 MHz spread spectrum.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
OK, let's put aside the transmitters (ham, FRS, etc). Why ban receivers like AM/FM/SW? Also, Disney is not charging to use their digital comms system, so there is no $$$ incentive to ban HTs.

It's a security concern, not a money concern.

Don't blame the cruise lines, blame the bad guys that make the cruise lines think it's necessary.

N4KVE

By the same right that TSA searches your luggage before boarding an airplane. They want to make sure people are not smuggling booze, weapons, or anything else illegal onto their ship. When you tell them they can not search your luggage, they will tell you that you can not board their ship.

RFI-EMI-GUY

God forbid you might be interested in listening to a station that isn't pumping out Disney ads. It will ruin your "experience".

RFI-EMI-GUY

Just bring a couple of Nextel phones that have the DIRECT TALK feature. The cruise lines love that, as they get to charge passengers big $ for cellular access on their system, only you'll be using your cell phone in simplex mode. 900 MHz spread spectrum.

Good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.