Disneyland Scanning, the end is drawing near...

Status
Not open for further replies.

joen7xxx

I did see two interesting items there last year. One was an early 1960's vintage communications van parked by their police station, saw it from the monorail. I also saw a security vehicle parked just inside the park boundaries on a parking garage approach with amber and blue dash lights lit. Better keep THAT one off the streets, (unless it was actually PD).

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
What is a BDA?
The simple answer without having to follow a link is that they're used to retransmit, in either direction, signals from a near by radio site and mobile phone signals that can't make it far enough to the site. R-tron is one make that Sprint uses. The in-building receiver and transmitter section can be split and fed long distances with fiber DAS (distributed antenna systems).

Also, the R2660 or 2670 don't demodulate iDEN. I have one and can attest to that.

Eng74

Just got back from the Parks tonight. Still a lot of traffic on all the normal talk groups the Park Ops. TG's were going really good and all of the Fantasmic! and the DLFD for all the pyro for the fireworks show. Also the RR/Monorail were active.

WQAJ741

So you mean that all-calls and the like don't work?

Is this a nextel limitation, or just something that hasn't been enabled/rolled out yet?
As a CM over at DLR they say there wont be all calls but instead the all calls will be sent as a text message to every phone. Usually during an all call, you will hear a beep and control will say something like "control to all units, control to all units stand by for emergency traffic, then you will hear a ringing sound and the all call goes on. Not gonna happen with nextel!

AlexC

Database Admin
They won't use nextel for the parades or other events due to the audio delay. They learned their lesson in Orlando when they tried to do that and people were getting the "time to stop" message a bit too late.....

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
They won't use nextel for the parades or other events due to the audio delay. They learned their lesson in Orlando when they tried to do that and people were getting the "time to stop" message a bit too late.....

I'm not as experienced in FL, but I can verify what you're saying. Did WDW ever use wireless headsets?

At DL, they use a wireless intercom to allow full duplex communication. The TRS was never really used to coordinate the parades. So not only do they not have the delay, multiple folks can talk at the same time.

If I were predicting the future, I'd guess that the parades and other events will continue to use wireless intercoms and the TRS will be abandoned.

It makes me wonder what other properties of nextel might make it less than desirable for other DL departments? Clearly they can put enough $$ to fix coverage issues, but nothing will solve the delay of the vocoder. :)

Mick

These are still active:

240 Red/Emergency
272 Blue/Security primary
304 Chat channel
368 Park ops
400 Park ops chat channel
432 purple/train central/monorail ops
464 trams///parking
496 facilities; “Maintenance Central” “Custodian 1 channel”
528 utilities///Purple/parking “Maintenance Center”
560 “Maintenance Center” “Warehouse” units
592 Fire department
624 “Entertainment Central"
656 parade
816 Hotel security///Downtown Disney Hotel security ops, Blue/
880 “Parade” units
912 Electricians/Autopia base
944 Hotel security (816’s) chat channel/// DD Hotel security ops, chat
1104 Fire Dept
1168 Announcements/all call
1296 Landscape units
1392 Comm chat ch
1424 Cleaning crews (720’s chat channel)
1552 DCA facilities
1808 Jungle Cruise; Adventureland ops
1840 Presentation services
1872 PCO chat
2096 “Hotel” Downtown Disney area
2160 GC Hotel banquet services
2352 DCA parades; DCA Guest Control; “Parade” units
2384 GC Hotel custodians; “HK work orders”
2448 Carts; Parade ops
2480 Tour guides/DCA parade
2512 Film units
2608 DL Hotel Emergency/A1/Alarm resets; “Emerg. Park Ch.”
2672 GC Hotel phone center/“Work orders” “Maint. Center”
3696 DCA ops; “Attractions” “Theme Park” & “Entertainment” units
3792 DCA waiting times///DCA chat “On chat”; 3696’s chat
3824 ticket booths

peepoop

Premium Member
I think that list is maybe not so accurate anymore. I haven't heard trams/parking on there for several weeks.

It's a slow phase-out to be sure. I just wish I knew when the final planned shutoff date is for all the talkgroups. And more importantly, what they plan to do with the TRS when all is said and done.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
They aren't. Why would they have just replaced all of their 900 trunked system with the latest equipment, and then shut it down?

Because they are a big bureaucracy, and often times the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing?

I certainly respect your source and insight, but I wouldn't be surprised that if Nextel is totally adopted, they would pull the plug on the TRS. It wouldn't be my first bet, but it wouldn't surprise me.

What I think is more likely is that security, fire and other public safety departments would stay on the TRS. This would be analogous to what happened at WDW, where Nextel was used for everything but EMS and Fire. (Ironically, security did move on Nextel).

peepoop

Premium Member
Just heard on the submarine talkgroup...

"Could you come bring me a new battery for my radio? It's an old radio so it's the bigger of the two batteries."

That implies there are "new" radios...and new radios mean continued use of the TRS in some capacity. Or it could mean nothing at all.

Mick

TG 464 was active once yesterday. Trams and parking has most likely gone to the Nextel radios. A friend of mine tells me he has to carry the old radio in addition to the Nextel radio because the Nextel often goes down and is unreliable.

I think that list is maybe not so accurate anymore. I haven't heard trams/parking on there for several weeks.

It's a slow phase-out to be sure. I just wish I knew when the final planned shutoff date is for all the talkgroups. And more importantly, what they plan to do with the TRS when all is said and done.

Eng74

What is some of the wierd stuff everyone has heard on the Disneyland system. Other than the "code H on Main Street near the Hub" the last trip I heard that someone was scalping tickets on the Harbor ticket booth side. They have some good cameras also, later that night the were tracking some people going into a shop across Harbor almost to Katela.

crackscan31

I agree on their cameras. The set up must be impressive.
Back on topic, my guess is they will keep security, loss prevention and the fire department on the 900 MHz TRS.
I'm not sure how Nextel works. But if the other Nextel users can't hear everyone else with a Nextel on the same "channel," how would they purse a shoplifting suspect or know that additional firefighting resources have been order?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I'm not sure how Nextel works. But if the other Nextel users can't hear everyone else with a Nextel on the same "channel," how would they purse a shoplifting suspect or know that additional firefighting resources have been order?
Nextel's iDEN technology is just another trunking technology. There's group calling, private calling ("DirectConnect"), telephone interconnect, paging, etc.

In this case Disneyland has talkgroups setup for them. I'm sure they make use of all features considering how they ran their 900 system.

Mick

I heard this in March 2008:

A Disneyland dispatcher referred to the time of 12:09 AM the other morning as "2409" hours, that was a new one!

What is some of the wierd stuff everyone has heard on the Disneyland system. Other than the "code H on Main Street near the Hub" the last trip I heard that someone was scalping tickets on the Harbor ticket booth side. They have some good cameras also, later that night the were tracking some people going into a shop across Harbor almost to Katela.

Mick

These are the active TG's during the week ending 12 July:

240 Red/Emergency
304 Chat channel
336 Chat channel
368 Park ops
464 trams (active only once with “loading guests”)
592 Fire department
624 “Entertainment Central” (one announcement only)
656 “Fantasmic” units
784 DCA chat channel
880 “Parade” units
1104 Fire Dept
1392 Comm chat ch
1424 “Custodial Central”
1552 DCA facilities
1584 “Audio” units?
1872 Chat channel
2448 Carts; Parade ops
3696 DCA ops; “Attractions” “Theme Park” & “Entertainment” units
3792 DCA waiting times///DCA chat “On chat”; 3696’s chat

These are still active:
240 Red/Emergency
304 Chat channel
368 Park ops
464 trams///parking
592 Fire department
624 “Entertainment Central"
656 parade
880 “Parade” units
1104 Fire Dept
1296 Landscape units
1392 Comm chat ch
1424 Cleaning crews (720’s chat channel)
1552 DCA facilities
1808 Jungle Cruise; Adventureland ops
1872 PCO chat
2160 GC Hotel banquet services
2384 GC Hotel custodians; “HK work orders”
2448 Carts; Parade ops
2480 Tour guides/DCA parade
2512 Film units