Dispatcher Would Not Help Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Tonight I heard part of a Fire Page of a house fire near a lake . I heard just enough to make me think that my parents lake cabin or another cabin was on fire in a county north of where I live. Before I made the mad dash out of the house to a 30 min drive to see for myself I decided to call the dispatcher. I told her that I heard a Fire Call and was wondering what the Fire Department was going to ? I told here that my parents owned a cabin near a lake. She asked me if I was a firefighter with the department that was going to the fire ?? I told her No. She said that she could not give out that information.
It turns out that it was a diferent lake and not close to my parents cabin. I wonder why she could not give out the information ?? The Fire Department still uses analog radios. Is there some rule that I don't know about ??

GTR8000

Well Known Member
Database Admin
It's entirely possible that it's that 911 center's policy not to give out any information over the phone unless they know who they're speaking with, and that person is authorized. I'm sure they were busy dispatching resources to the fire as well and didn't need to deal with any distractions (which you were at that point, as good as your intentions may have been).

Honestly, if you started off the call with "Hi I just heard a fire call on my scanner from a different county and was wondering where the FD was going to?!?", they probably dismissed you as a buff. I understand you were concerned about your parent's property, but you also have to respect any policies they have in place there, as well as the fact that they're probably busy if it was a working fire.

Was there no option for you to continuing to listen on the scanner for another minute or two, maybe you would've caught the location being announced again, or the dept that was dispatched? Seems like given the fact that the fire was at a different lake altogether "not close" to your parent's cabin, that you could've immediately ruled it out if you heard locations or depts you know aren't in that area.

You could've also waited a few minutes before calling the 911 center, and when you did call leave out the part about hearing a fire call. It may've also helped if instead of asking where the fire dept was going, you said something like "I'm sorry to trouble you, but is there a fire at Lake _____? My parents own a cabin up there on _____ Road, and I just want to make sure it's not theirs. If you need me to hold I can, thanks."

Status
Not open for further replies.