Dispatchers Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Even when I factor in the exchange to CA$, it’s a wage not even worth getting out of bed for. It’s barely above my provincial minimum wage.

My last job paid north of $25/hr, and I didn’t have near the responsibility that job entails.

Seriously $13/hr to do one of the most stressful jobs out there, with rotating shifts at all hours of the day? Not likely. Better to go work at a Timmies or McDonalds for almost the same pay with FAR less responsibilities.
Well said. That is exactly what the turnovers say, Wal mart and micky d's for same or more pay less stress, training requirements to certs. Less shift time, not stuck on adverse shifts.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm sure there's a lot of people that would -like- to do it, but having gone through the POST 2-255 background checks, I can tell you that many would not qualify.
There's some serious job love that goes on for the dispatchers, and they don't necessarily do it for the money, but the money is part of it.

W5lz

In general...
inside work, out of the weather, and if you're nosy it's a gold mine! Amazing what you can learn about people and their 'habits'. It can also be one of the most boring jobs around. Not being in a large town/city, there have been times when you get bored with taking a nap between calls. Then again, there are some who don't have anyone else to call to find out what the hell do I do now stuff. Absolutely nothing to do with PD/FD/EMS/etc, but there's no listing for 'Ghost Busters' here so... who do you call?
Attitude is the key.

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
From Google :

"The median income for a household in the city was $30,460, and the median income for a family was $38,732. Males had a median income of $27,948 versus $21,186 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,774. About 9.8% of families and 17.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.1% of those under age 18 and 18.4% of those age 65 or over. "

Looking at demographics and keeping in mind the population is just over 11,000 people, I suspect the call volume isn't exactly high as compared to other larger cities. So when comparing the pay, this is something to keep in mind before you tear them apart.

Sure, there are many dispatch centers with high call volume that don't pay enough. Not going to argue that, but when dealing with these smaller cities, things tend to be a bit more laid back. I could be wrong, it could be a crime infested dumpster fire, or it could be nice small city. I have never been there, just basing this off of demographics that I get from a Google search.
For what it is worth the population or so called census is very misleading. The zip codes are really more important these days as people tend to move to the outer edges of the so called city limits in order to escape rules and regulations. The zip code here is in the 20K range, the dispatch county, in this case is in excess of 40K people. This dispatch center is in charge of around 90% of that population.

Status
Not open for further replies.