Dispatchers Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
I know this is an old video, dispatch has been totally revamped since this was made.

Regardless, the City of Guthrie needs dispatchers. Would be good for semi retired. Apply online here: City of Guthrie

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Moore dispatch is hiring starting at $17 something/hr according to their facebook post.

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
I find it sort of strange that the You Tube video I posted at the top has been deleted. Oh well, hope you all have a great 2020. Maybe one day the dispatchers will get their share of the pie? For the time being I am still trying to figure out how to program this damned SD200! :)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
$13.17/hr??????

hahahahaha. No wonder the position is still open.I already said that a while ago. Should have read the whole thread before replying.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
No such thing as a shortage...... only supply and demand. If demand outstrips supply, price goes up. If supply is higher than demand, the price drops. Been watching this swing back and forth in oilfield employment for almost 10 years (I got out long ago, but have friends still in it). For that pay, it is more cost effective to sit home. TT

reedeb

Was a Dispatcher a long time ago. It can be OK and then times it is so nerve frazzling it wants to make you upchuck. I told myself NEVER again

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
$13/hr. Wheee.

Let's see.
Gotta have a clean record.
Pass background, financial and criminal records investigations.
Awful hours.
High stress.
Long training/break in period.
Getting stuck with the worst shifts as the "new guy" for the first couple of years.
Dealing with some of the worst that society has to offer.
Constantly observed, don't dare screw up or make a mistake. Everything you say, do, write, type is recorded, and you can be dragged into court to testify.

All that for $13.00/hr, minus all the taxes, union dues, etc. Take home pay in the $10/hr range? You've got to be kidding me.
PSAP's are fighting to get dispatchers classified as "public safety" instead of "clerical" so they can get decent pay, and it's been a fight all the way.
Any agency that would expect to get dispatchers at that rate really needs to re-examine their priorities.

W5lz

I guess it's just 'attitude'. If I lived closer I'd apply. For those "not worth it to me" people... who said you were worth it to start with?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
$13/hr. Wheee. What does a starting cop or fireman make in Guthrie?

If you think that is bad otero county NM over in alamogordo fire fighters start at 11.xx hour doe (lol), dispatch 12 to 13 hour. Full time law officer 17 to 18 hour.

They have yet to figure out why they can't find anyone and have extreme turn over rates among other issues the attorney general will catch onto.

prcguy

That pay is sad for what fire fighters and law enforcement have to endure. I wonder if that county had no fire or law enforcement for awhile, if they would then realize what the job is worth. My father did 30yrs with Los Angeles City Fire Dept and was compensated well and had the best medical and retirement you could ask for. I was nearly 38yrs old when I finally earned what my father got in his retirement check.

If you think that is bad otero county NM over in alamogordo fire fighters start at 11.xx hour doe (lol), dispatch 12 to 13 hour. Full time law officer 17 to 18 hour.

They have yet to figure out why they can't find anyone and have extreme turn over rates among other issues the attorney general will catch onto.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
From Google :

"The median income for a household in the city was $30,460, and the median income for a family was $38,732. Males had a median income of $27,948 versus $21,186 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,774. About 9.8% of families and 17.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.1% of those under age 18 and 18.4% of those age 65 or over. "

Looking at demographics and keeping in mind the population is just over 11,000 people, I suspect the call volume isn't exactly high as compared to other larger cities. So when comparing the pay, this is something to keep in mind before you tear them apart.

Sure, there are many dispatch centers with high call volume that don't pay enough. Not going to argue that, but when dealing with these smaller cities, things tend to be a bit more laid back. I could be wrong, it could be a crime infested dumpster fire, or it could be nice small city. I have never been there, just basing this off of demographics that I get from a Google search.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
That pay is sad for what fire fighters and law enforcement have to endure. I wonder if that county had no fire or law enforcement for awhile, if they would then realize what the job is worth. My father did 30yrs with Los Angeles City Fire Dept and was compensated well and had the best medical and retirement you could ask for. I was nearly 38yrs old when I finally earned what my father got in his retirement check.

If you think that end is bad radio tech starts at 10/11 a hour doe with "other duties" assigned such as hvac, building maint etc which takes most of their time and it's like asking for a blood drive to get units done or portables updated.
From Google :

"The median income for a household in the city was $30,460, and the median income for a family was $38,732. Males had a median income of $27,948 versus $21,186 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,774. About 9.8% of families and 17.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.1% of those under age 18 and 18.4% of those age 65 or over. "

Looking at demographics and keeping in mind the population is just over 11,000 people, I suspect the call volume isn't exactly high as compared to other larger cities. So when comparing the pay, this is something to keep in mind before you tear them apart.

Sure, there are many dispatch centers with high call volume that don't pay enough. Not going to argue that, but when dealing with these smaller cities, things tend to be a bit more laid back. I could be wrong, it could be a crime infested dumpster fire, or it could be nice small city. I have never been there, just basing this off of demographics that I get from a Google search.

For a small area which exceeds 11 thousand without doubt in one I mentioned, to pay dispatcher and Leo's that yet base their city manager and attorney of Albuquerque is absurd. Without doubt they make beyond what the city of Albuquerque mayor, attorney and manager does.

The last police chief whistle blower corruption and he was fired then offered a 350 grand gag and retire offer. He dropped his lawsuit and refused after to talk to the state.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I guess it's just 'attitude'. If I lived closer I'd apply. For those "not worth it to me" people... who said you were worth it to start with?

Even when I factor in the exchange to CA$, it’s a wage not even worth getting out of bed for. It’s barely above my provincial minimum wage.

My last job paid north of $25/hr, and I didn’t have near the responsibility that job entails.

Seriously $13/hr to do one of the most stressful jobs out there, with rotating shifts at all hours of the day? Not likely. Better to go work at a Timmies or McDonalds for almost the same pay with FAR less responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.