Dispatchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

otrebla

What training/education is required for the job? I ask because a few dispatchers in my area seem to have no clue what they are doing.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Well, it certainly isn't like CA or other states have have POST requirements. In my case, our training was about 5 months long and all on-the-job. We have In-service every year like the sworn staff at the Academy.

Without saying too much out of line, I'll say that I agree that there are good comm centers and bad comm centers :)

car2back

otrebla said:
What training/education is required for the job? I ask because a few dispatchers in my area seem to have no clue what they are doing.

there is usually no uniform educational or training requirements out there (at least in my state); most are set by the individual agencies and range few and far between: here where I work, You must have a High School Diploma, be 18 years of age, pass a criminal background check and polygraph :)roll:) test. Our in-house training is usually 8 weeks long, then you get assigned to the grave yard shift.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Bad dispatching can also come from poor procedures and policies, and of course, "well that's the way we've always done it."

SCPD

QRT
otrebla said:

Which area/department are you listening to? Walworth County? LOL....

cschmit

About a week ago I was listening to the MPD and dispatch sent a single car(2 officers) to a call on a possible drug deal going down. A short bit later the one officer calls back in about a foot chase with the suspect having a gun and shooting. After about 5 min or so the suspect was caught and arrested, while this was going dispatch kept asking if they should send more help. When this all ended the officers sounded pretty frustrated and a few other officers later chimed into dispatch stating, "Next time send more help in the first place". Dispatch got pretty mad about those comments but I have to say I agree with the officers. A sticky situation needs more then one car responding.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
cschmit said:
About a week ago I was listening to the MPD and dispatch sent a single car(2 officers) to a call on a possible drug deal going down. A short bit later the one officer calls back in about a foot chase with the suspect having a gun and shooting. After about 5 min or so the suspect was caught and arrested, while this was going dispatch kept asking if they should send more help. When this all ended the officers sounded pretty frustrated and a few other officers later chimed into dispatch stating, "Next time send more help in the first place". Dispatch got pretty mad about those comments but I have to say I agree with the officers. A sticky situation needs more then one car responding.

That is baffling to me. MPD usually rolls two 2-man cars for everything and even if the dispatcher didn't by the time other beat cars hear someone with traffic like that, there are 10 squads running Code 3 to get over to the scene.

otrebla

laggroup said:
Which area/department are you listening to?

I listen to a wide area from Milwaukee County to Manitowoc County. The communications center I am refering to is the Sheboygan City Police/Fire.

SCPD

QRT
The Wisconsin Test is much better than the one they use here in Omaha. The Wisconsin test gives you dispatching situations too see your judgment. Here in Omaha they give you a map of Douglas county with only 1/4 of the streets on it and expect you to know where a road that is only 1/8 of a mile long is and it isn't even on the map. Another part ask what is the first letter of the COLOR the word is in YELLOW.
I took the Wisconsin dispatcher test for Walworth county about a year and a half ago and PASSED, but I moved out here to go to school.

cschmit

stateboy said:
That is baffling to me. MPD usually rolls two 2-man cars for everything and even if the dispatcher didn't by the time other beat cars hear someone with traffic like that, there are 10 squads running Code 3 to get over to the scene.

And I am sure that is why the dispatcher took some heat from other officers. She (the dispatcher) also isn't very nice and comes across very rude at times, as though the officers are bothering her. Don't think she has been their long since I don't recognize her voice but then again I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.