display and description of Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvdbir

ok, I'm not that good... How do you determine what the actual radio being used is that you are figuring out? i.e. 2OPS05 Haliburton - 1Echo

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Which system? The question may have better answers if it was in one of the area specific forums.

-Wayne

dvdbir

motorola type II Smartzone...

I am monitoring the new talkgroups in Northern Ontario. One unit I heard is Romeo 158 talking in Latchford heading north to New Liskeard. But the question is everyone down south seems to have knowledge as to who the specific talkgroup is affiliated with. I was wondering how they find this out...

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Romeo 158 is probaby an MNR unit.

Unfortunately, the way we find out who is affiliated on what talkgroup is by listening to the system.

Since Zone 1 has been on the air for a few years, there's a lot of talkgroups that are now known thanks to locals who have listened to the system and submitted what they hear.

For example, what talkgroup number did you hear Romeo158 on? Chances are you've found an MNR talkgroup. If you had submitted that information to the database, others in your area would have benefitted. What tower are you listening to? What area are you from? What's the strongest control channel in your area and what voice channels are you seeing coming from that tower? What soft id's are you hearing?

I've yet to see much information on the system coming from locals. So far I think Sudbury OPP is on 8576. I was able to figure out North Bay OPP's talkgroup while I was up in Sundridge on the weekend. I think I was listening to a tower around Powassan and I added the voice channels I observed to the database.

Keep a log of any talkgroups you see and any channel designations you hear. By submitting the information or talking about it here in the forum, slowly you and others will be able to figure the system out.

dvdbir

re: APCO digital Zone 3

I just thought maybe there was some way that you all had scanners hooked up that would display SAMPLE: 2OPS05 Haliburton or something, instead of listening to find out who the user is. I noticed Zone 1 and 2 are very thorough in the user and specific talkgroups.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
No, what you see in the database has come from listeners like yourself. I was able to figure out 2 talkgroup names while on vacation in Sudbury by listening.

dvdbir

keep up the good work

thanks Mike, thought I was missing something LOL

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Wish it were that simple. Would have saved me some time.

I did add into the database the talkgroup designators I heard while on vacation. Since they're usually assigned sequentially, you should be able to fill in the blanks. Also keep in mind that detachments are usually assigned talkgroups in alphabetical order.

Once you get a few, you can start filling in detachment names and talkgroup designators.

This is just a general observation and there will be some differences.

Also keep in mind that the TAC, HWY and Wide Area talkgroups are also on the same talkgroups in each system. For example:

1TAC01 is 9376 on Zone 1.
2TAC02 is 9376 on Zone 2.

Guess which talkgroup will probably be 3TAC03 (or is it 4TAC03?) on Zone 3? Probably 9376.

hemi

It just takes sometime and a ear for locations and road names. Eventually you will notice each detachments talk group i.d.s. It took me a few days sitting down with my zone2 printed out and watch the radio display talk groups when their was activity and matching it up on radio reference data base Bell Fleetnet zone2 print out.

Status
Not open for further replies.