Display Backlight Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I thought there was a dedicated thread about the x36HPs fading back lights but I'll be darned if I can find it. I was going to post this and some other related info in that thread but no can find.
I also wanted to look at the pictures in that thread as I may be able to answer some of my own questions from the inside LED pictures alone that someone had posted and marked up with actual voltage readings they measured.

I tried searching the few forums that now exist and could not find that fading backlight thread for anything. I know there have been several recent posts into that thread just in the past week or so but a search back as far as June still did not turn up that thread.
Or the thread had a really goofy title and I'm just missing it.

I thought it was in the old "Advanced Technical Topics" Uniden forum along with the thread about adding your own rechargeable coin cell.
Now we seem to have a "Uniden Tech Support" forum which is really not the same as the old forum where users could discuss neat technical stuff and ideas.
I'm sure it's around here somewhere and I'm probably looking right at it but it sure is hidden to my eyes!

I don't see a post explaining the changes made with the Uniden forums either but there is still the post from the changes made when the Uniden forums were split into several a year or so ago.

When did they make these changes to the Uniden forums?
It seems they were still the same bunch of several forums just a day ago but not today!

My oldest 536HP backlighting went dim a month or two ago but it only lasted about a week before the normal brightness level returned on its own one day. I was starting to disassemble the radio so that problem was likely from a dirty connection that was bumped or reconnected while I was opening it up.

I knew it would probably fail again though as they always do! That failure has finally arrived but it is a different failure.
My whole theory here is based on the fact that my 536 display went back bright on its own most likely from me bumping a loose connection while I was opening it up.

But... instead of display dimming failures like most observe, mine lost the backlights for the first two columns of keys just right of the LCD window between last night and this morning.
If I remember correctly, there are at least three LEDs between each column of the keypad.
My two rightmost keypad columns (just left of the volume and squelch knobs), the 5 function buttons below the LCD display and the LCD display backlights themselves are all still working fine.
Only the LEDs between the 1st and 2nd keybad columns have went dark. Not dim but dark or off.

So my ZIP, SERV, RANG, MENU, 1, 4, 7 and ./NO keys have no backlighting at all today.

I'll be opening it up and see if I can figure out the cause of todays failure and maybe what is going on with the display dimming issue as I have some theory's on that as well that I'm going to look at now that I'll be opening it back up.

If anyone can find the original long thread about the display dimming issues with the pictures that someone took of the insides with voltage readings marked for each LED, please post a link to that thread here.

I think it was in the old "Advanced Technical Topics" Uniden Forum but I'll be darned if I can even find that forum or any mention of where that forums posts have been moved to!

Status
Not open for further replies.