display bulbs for scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There are a bajillion LEDs of all sizes, shapes, and colors on amazon and ebay. Pick one that is compatible sizewise, then measure supply voltage and choose a limiter resistor accordingly. Or get fancy and get a voltage converter with an adjustable current-limited output.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Bulbs for scanner

Without knowing more about the scanner, assuming it is 12 volt is a bad decision. I have a scanner that runs on 2 AA batteries, and I seriously doubt that the voltage is converted up to power a couple of bulbs. Most modern portable scanners use 4 AA cells, and 12V is not likely to be correct. What you really need is a schematic for the scanner to give you correct values.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Or you could measure the supply voltage going to the bulb, given that many Uniden scanners do not have publicly available schematics.

Also, if the supply voltage is less than 12V but greater than the forward voltage of the LED, the LED will still work, it just won't be as bright as intended. All you need to do is choose a diffrent limiter resistor to get the desired current:

LED Resistor Calculator

FedFyrGuy

Premium Subscriber
The OP made no mention of "portable" scanners....he specifically referenced tabletop/mobile scanners...."9000, 895 ,898t." A quick check with a multi-tester would reveal the voltage supplied to the original lamp and a replacement plan could be developed from that point.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
LEDs

The op did not give full numbers, and didn't know if those were part numbers or what. Even small electronics with 12 V input don't necessarily use 12 V to power the entire device.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The BC895XLT and BC898T use a 9 volt regulator to power the display lights. The BC890XLT powers the lights from a 5 volt regulator. These radios all have circuitry to switch between bright, dim, and off. LED's can be substituted for the lamps if you understand how the circuit switches the lamp current to control brightness.

A few years ago I put a file covering the BC895XLT circuit in the files area of the yahoo group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BC895XLT/files/Hardware/. The file details how to change the lamps to LEDs and retain the brightness switching function.

CanesFan95

Seems like a lot of Uniden scanners have a rather dim backlight and wish they were brighter. BCT15X, BCD996P2, BCD436HP, & BCD536HP, look rather dim.

NC4RR

I have found a lot of 8 volt wheat lamps but can't find my spares from Uniden, need the length/ diameter of the bulb any help ??
Thanks
J.R.
BC895 9000, 898t, pro2022,2006 AOR TR4500, pro 2042, pro 2052, IC rx7, BR330, several other uhf mil scanners. Lot activity hear in eastern NC.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Replace the bulb with an LED. It won't burn out, and will be brighter while using less power.

Status
Not open for further replies.