R8600 Display problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
when i turn on the 8600, i get the normal Icom boot up screen.

then the display goes all white.

pushing menu button does bring up the right menu items....but the radio is pretty much worthless otherwise. none of the menus display properly.... i think i managed to do a reset... but not sure.

i did re-format the SD card. no change.

????

doug

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 66

MDScanFan

What were you doing right before this happened? I am wondering about the cause. Does it still receive?

batdude

the radio does still receive. i wasn't doing anything.... came in, turned it on. had this problem.

no lightning storms.

I don't use any external interfaces or computer software....

MDScanFan

Ok. My only thoughts are contacting Icom support to ask for advice or trying to reinstall the firmware. It seems like good news that it still receives and the screen still works to some extent.

batdude

Ok. My only thoughts are contacting Icom support to ask for advice or trying to reinstall the firmware. It seems like good news that it still receives and the screen still works to some extent.

got an email back from ICom.... off it goes to the service center. my <guess> is that the firmware has corrupted itself... somehow... because the display does function (in menu mode) it's just the spectrum/freq display that is wonky.

at least it's under warranty.....

doug

batdude

I am glad it is still under warranty. Is the repair center in the US?

yes, but about as far away from me as is possible CONUS.... LOL..... this is probably going to take ~ month.... 1 week there, 1 week repair... 1 week back.... sucks.

d

ArloG

I had this exact same thing happen when I plugged in one of the rear panel USB cables to my laptop.
I ended up doing a front panel reset. It's in the manual. I sent mine to Icom in Mich. to have it looked at and it came back checked out and all-good.
It's worth a try.

batdude

unfortunately, I didn't see that paragraph before it was sent out today. I do not think that would have fixed the problem that I had... but who knows. any menu items on the screen were blank ... even the yes no boxes I had to guess their location before touching them.

for the record, i did not / do not plug anything other than antennas into my 8600.... do not use programming software or any of the USB out IQ functionality stuff....

so there is no real reason for the display to go wonky on my end.... unless it was some kind of ESD thing or something.

doug

swman

I'm assuming this issue is being experienced with the 1.34 firmware ? Would be useful (and important) to indicate what firmware version is installed when reporting this.

batdude

I'm assuming this issue is being experienced with the 1.34 firmware ? Would be useful (and important) to indicate what firmware version is installed when reporting this.
you are correct. it would have been nice to add that > 1.34 < I honestly didn't bother mentioning that since the 1.02 firmware is 3+ years old..... i do wish I had tried the tip above to do the screen reset noted on the bottom right of page 12-2 of the manual..... because I bet that would have fixed it..... oh well, it's enroute to Icom now. will update when I hear back.

doug

batdude

received the unit back today, working fine. Display was replaced under warranty (1 hour labor + display was $112 = $200 to replace if not under warranty)

One thing irks me.

ICom sent the radio back - UNINSURED - and without a signature required..... that's insane. The box sat on my porch for about 12 hours before I noticed it.....

doug

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Wow, that's very irresponsible. I wonder what the outcome would have been if it was damaged or got lost in shipping?

ridgescan

received the unit back today, working fine. Display was replaced under warranty (1 hour labor + display was $112 = $200 to replace if not under warranty)

One thing irks me.

ICom sent the radio back - UNINSURED - and without a signature required..... that's insane. The box sat on my porch for about 12 hours before I noticed it.....

doug
Oh man I am glad luck was on your side those 12 hours! That would never fly here in San Fransicko. Even here in the once "quaint" outer Sunset, the porch pirate phenomenon has exploded big time since the pandemic:( My old sick R71A will have to remain sick until I move to Rocklin/Roseville, Ca. where I can rest easier knowing there will be far less chance of the likes of your experience.
Happy that your R8600 is back safe. Keep us in tune with how she runs:)

Status
Not open for further replies.