Status
Not open for further replies.

localknitwits

Hello, BCT15X

Playing around with my new scanner.

I programmed 2 systems.
1 conventional (1 channel)
1 trunking (Motorola) (1 tgid).

The display stays on the trunking system for approximately 3 seconds then displays the conventional channel for less than a second and goes back to the trunking system (repeat all over again) when there is no activity. If there is activity on either system I pick it up immediately.

Is this normal? Why does the display show the trunking system longer than the conventional system when scanning? Everything works, just wondering why the longer display. Thanks.

JamesO

You have very little programmed into the scanner, so the scanner behavior is normal.

1 conventional channel and 1 trunked system with a single talk group.

Scanner will likely stay on trunked system longer than conventional as it needs to acquire the data channel and wait to see if the single talk group becomes active.

If you have more talk groups programmed, the scanner will stay on the trunked system longer, same is true if you have more than a single conventional channel.

Your current programming will have a very fast changing display.

inlandpatch

Premium Subscriber
Hello, BCT15X

Playing around with my new scanner.

I programmed 2 systems.
1 conventional (1 channel)
1 trunking (Motorola) (1 tgid).

The display stays on the trunking system for approximately 3 seconds then displays the conventional channel for less than a second and goes back to the trunking system (repeat all over again) when there is no activity. If there is activity on either system I pick it up immediately.

Is this normal? Why does the display show the trunking system longer than the conventional system when scanning? Everything works, just wondering why the longer display. Thanks.

yes it is normal that the scanner does that, it stays on the trunking longer probably because of the data and also you on have one conventional freq so its not going to stay on that freq for a long time.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
One correction: The number of TGIDs programmed into a trunked system will have no affect at all on how long the scanner dwells on the system. Dwell time on a trunked system is dependent entirely on the trunking control channel cycle time (1-2 seconds).

JamesO

One correction: The number of TGIDs programmed into a trunked system will have no affect at all on how long the scanner dwells on the system. Dwell time on a trunked system is dependent entirely on the trunking control channel cycle time (1-2 seconds).

Not to disagree with the "Master" and I have not performed a full evaluation, but it appears the number of Talk Groups programmed into a trunked system and/or how the Talk Groups/System is programmed may impact how long the scanner will dwell on a trunked system?

I have a number of trunked systems programmed in to multiple scanners and there appears to be differences in the amount of time the scanner will dwell on each trunked system.

The problem is most of these systems have a fair amount of activity so at times it is hard to actually determine how long the scanner is dwelling on the trunking system.

Maybe it is up to what is happening on the control channel, maybe is may be something with a Talk Group that hits but is at the end of activity and the scanner never opens the squelch and then continues on?

Additionally if the scanner cannot acquire the control channel for some reason, you will just see the system "flash" on the display like is may be a single conventional programmed frequency. This happens to me from time to time when I am in the "cone of silence" under a cell tower or in a fringe area.

Like anything here, there may be some differences as to how the scanner behaves based upon many factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.