disposing of used/old autoparts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4ivt

Premium Subscriber
I just finished installing a new catalytic converter assembly in a car, a 2002 VW Jetta. Now I've got the old assembly taking up space in my small garage and am wondering what I should do with it. Can I just put it out with the trash or should I look into taking it to some sort of scrap place. If the latter is better choice, where can I find a place in my area (the Northern Virginia area, specifically Prince William County) to do this?

I've heard, but can't confirm, that you can get some money for these old converters due to the fact that the converter itself contains some precious metals. If this is true, I'd like to go this route but again I am not sure where I should take it or what to expect to get for it.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Keganm

Premium Subscriber
If the catalytic converter is still good then yes, its worth some money, other wise its not worth much. Check your local yellow pages for scrap collectors. Some of them will come around and pick it up for free.

kg4ivt

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone. I was able to get rid of it and get a few bucks in my pocket in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.