Distance question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdichard

Hello, I would like to monitor the Martin County and Broward County TRS from my home in Wellington with a BCD996XT. Is this possible or is it too far. I am able to receive Boca Raton on their system but just barely. I am using one of the Radio Shack 800MHZ antennas. If it is possible, what kind of antenna will I need and is there anything else I should do. Thanks in advance.

Kyle

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Kyle,

While I cannot answer your question from personal experience (since I live in south Dade), I can throw some figures your way.

The distance from Wellington to Broward's TRS northernmost site is approximately 25 miles. That transmitter antenna is at 400 feet. The line-of-site calculation would put it the horizon at approximately 30 miles.

The distance from Wellington to Martin County's TRS southernmost site is approximately 27 miles. That transmitter antenna is at 262 feet. The line-of-site calculation would put it the horizon at approximately 25 miles.

So, in a perfect world, you should theoretically be able to receive Broward County. Not so sure about Martin County. At any rate, at those distances you will probably need to use an outdoor directional antenna to even have a chance of catching a signal. Good luck.

webley445

How high up is your antenna? Consider looking up plans for building a yagi, 3-4 elements, tuned for the frequency you desire.
I kow a ham in Orlando that uses a discone antenna for monitoring but has been able to get to Lakeland and most times into Hillsborough/Pinellas county when transmitting on vhf.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
You will have to get an antenna outside with some altitude and probably 2 yagi antennas, one pointed north and one pointed south. Now being Martin County is a NPSPAC system there are signal level restrictions built into their design that purposly reduces their signal outside of their county. So this will make listening to them in Wellington that much more difficult.

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
Npspac

You will have to get an antenna outside with some altitude and probably 2 yagi antennas, one pointed north and one pointed south. Now being Martin County is a NPSPAC system there are signal level restrictions built into their design that purposly reduces their signal outside of their county. So this will make listening to them in Wellington that much more difficult.

I am constantly learning about this wonderful hobby by reading the many posts... I personally live in Ocala, with-in Ocala City limits, in Marion County and just south of me, approx 20 miles, is Lake County. Lake Cty has the new 700/800 Mhz trunk system, and I can not pick them up so good. I have great difficulty monitoring thier system with a dedicated yagi pointed at them at a hieght of approx 30 feet off the ground at my home. I have made 15 trips to the roof to accurately pin-point the direction of the yagi for best reception only to find that the Lake Cty signal barely breaks the squelch, and thats after customizing the settings on the 106. My second yagi is pointed at Marion County's closest tower, for Sheriff and Fire/Rescue reception, which is crystal clear.

Might anyone know if the Lake County system is NPSPAC ? That would explain alot to me, as I have even borrowed two different pre-amps to try to boost signal into my Pro-106, niether pre-amp offered any better results, and I have tried the ATT switch, and even notch filters for FM music stations, and the signal just does not come in strong at all.

sorry to hijack the thread, back to you guys :)

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I'm pretty sure that Lake County is designed with the required NPSPAC contours.

I am constantly learning about this wonderful hobby by reading the many posts... I personally live in Ocala, with-in Ocala City limits, in Marion County and just south of me, approx 20 miles, is Lake County. Lake Cty has the new 700/800 Mhz trunk system, and I can not pick them up so good. I have great difficulty monitoring thier system with a dedicated yagi pointed at them at a hieght of approx 30 feet off the ground at my home. I have made 15 trips to the roof to accurately pin-point the direction of the yagi for best reception only to find that the Lake Cty signal barely breaks the squelch, and thats after customizing the settings on the 106. My second yagi is pointed at Marion County's closest tower, for Sheriff and Fire/Rescue reception, which is crystal clear.

Might anyone know if the Lake County system is NPSPAC ? That would explain alot to me, as I have even borrowed two different pre-amps to try to boost signal into my Pro-106, niether pre-amp offered any better results, and I have tried the ATT switch, and even notch filters for FM music stations, and the signal just does not come in strong at all.

sorry to hijack the thread, back to you guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.