Distant frequency’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4IPV

Can anyone tell me why on my Uniden 436 , when I manually set zip code for a central Florida zip It show that I am scanning Georgia state PD or Georgia other agency’s with the zip code I put in frequency s ?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Im sure you must have your range setting at up to 50 miles or so. Reduce it down to even zero to more filter it to your area.

FYI its "Frequencies" :)

Last edited:

Ubbe

You can set ranges up several hundred miles. The range setting vill add that value to what are already set in the database. The database have a range value for each site that are calculated to be the normal range of that transmitter. If you have better receive capablities than normal, perhaps roof antenna and live high above ground and you would like to hear what's going on far away, then you can add to the preset range by going from 0 in the scanner to 10 miles or something like that.

What are not possible, and I think is something that should be added, are to be able to set negative ranges. If you have only an antenna at the back of the scanner and live on low ground you would prtobably benefit from reducing the range of all system by some 10 miles or more to not scan system that you cannot hear.

/Ubbe

KO4IPV

You can set ranges up several hundred miles. The range setting vill add that value to what are already set in the database. The database have a range value for each site that are calculated to be the normal range of that transmitter. If you have better receive capablities than normal, perhaps roof antenna and live high above ground and you would like to hear what's going on far away, then you can add to the preset range by going from 0 in the scanner to 10 miles or something like that.

What are not possible, and I think is something that should be added, are to be able to set negative ranges. If you have only an antenna at the back of the scanner and live on low ground you would prtobably benefit from reducing the range of all system by some 10 miles or more to not scan system that you cannot hear.

/Ubbe
What if I enter a zip code into my 436 Uniden- can it be a zip 40 miles from my location? And if I do that also set Range at 50 miles? Have been doing this and at that time my scanner does not only receives sites in that zone but another 60 or 70 miles farther , usually all I see is the Department,System , and sometimes the channel , usually never any audio!! What gives ?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What if I enter a zip code into my 436 Uniden- can it be a zip 40 miles from my location? And if I do that also set Range at 50 miles? Have been doing this and at that time my scanner does not only receives sites in that zone but another 60 or 70 miles farther , usually all I see is the Department,System , and sometimes the channel , usually never any audio!! What gives ?
I think you are not understanding how the Range setting actually works.

You set your location via zip code, or the actual latitude & longitude values.
Then, enter a range.

But the way the scanner actually handles a range is that it, in effect, creates a circle around your location, at the radius (range) you specified. However, individual departments and sites also have ranges set in the database, which creates a virtual circle around their location.
If the "range circle" of your scanner intersects/overlaps the range circle of the site or department, that enables the system to be scanned. That's one reason why, when you set a large range, you are seeing systems that are way too far out to hear. A fifty mile range on the scanner would enable a system 70 miles away from you if the system's range is 20 miles or more.

For a lengthier illustration of how range works, with explanatory graphics, see this page:
How it Works: Location, Location, Location

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
For my needs I set Range to 2 miles. In actuality it's more like 20-30 miles due to the range of some transmitters as hiegtx pointed out in #8. This omits a lot of needless scanning causing some delay and spends more productive time on what I really want to monitor.

KO4IPV

For my needs I set Range to 2 miles. In actuality it's more like 20-30 miles due to the range of some transmitters as hiegtx pointed out in #8. This omits a lot of needless scanning causing some delay and spends more productive time on what I really want to monitor.
great info

Status
Not open for further replies.