Distant Sites - PSR 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyB

I have a question that's probably been answered before but I wanted to ask again.

For one of my virtual scanner banks I have each scanlist as a tower - Lookout, Thorodin, etc. For towers that are locked on I will see a 'T' to indicate it's trunking. For towers that aren't locked in I won't see the 'T'. What about where I am still getting several bars of signal strength but no 'T'? Is there a way to tweek the settings to try to get a weaker signal - in other words if I have a very weak signal do I want the attenuator one or off? Audio boost on or off? Digital AGC on or off? Super Track on or off? Again this is for weak signals not strong signals.

Thanks!

dougjgray

In general you cant compensate for a weak signal except with a better antenna. Although those setting may help decoding and the audio quality if you want to tweak. A good way to see what sites that maybe worth listening to is use the TUNE function and enter the control channel and see if its strong enough to be decoded as a control channel also look at the error rate if it is always below 50% certainly maybe not worth monitoring and probably for reliable listening it should be above 90% most of the time or you will miss a lot of traffic anyway.

I dought AGC would have any effect on reception and cc decoding but I was wondering the other day what the super track does and was going to hunt done the maual but havnt got around to it yet

Last edited:

MikeyB

In general you cant compensate for a weak signal except with a better antenna. Although those setting may help decoding and the audio quality if you want to tweak. A good way to see what sites that maybe worth listening to is use the TUNE function and enter the control channel and see if its strong enough to be decoded as a control channel also look at the error rate if it is always below 50% certainly maybe not worth monitoring and probably for reliable listening it should be above 90% most of the time or you will miss a lot of traffic anyway.

I dought AGC would have any effect on reception and cc decoding but I was wondering the other day what the super track does and was going to hunt done the maual but havnt got around to it yet

Thanks! I've heard about direction Yagi antennas but don't want to put anything outside. I was just wondering if any of those had any effect where they set a threshhold of signal before it locked or if I could make it track a weaker signal by changing settings (get what I can out of it!).

Status
Not open for further replies.