• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DIY Apollo Pager Programming Cradle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

echelonff

Hi Everyone,
I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, I didn't see an Apollo forum, and many Apollo pager users also use the Motorolas...

There is an awesome write-up on how to create a Minitor Programming Cradle here. Has anyone done something like this for the Apollo pagers?

The VP-100s only have 4 pins, so it couldn't be too tough... but not sure what the pinout is and can't find it online. I was able to build the Minitor III/IV cradle using a USB TTL adapter and it works great.

Does anyone know how to make a cradle or modify the existing cradle for the Apollos?

Thanks,
Echelonff

echelonff

I was feeling a little experimental, so I attempted doing this, but unfortunately it didn't work for me... not sure what I'm doing wrong. The charger cradle has 4 pins, and the two outside pins are the positive and negative pins for power. The inside two are empty. So, I figured they were the RX and TX pins.

I got a prolific serial to usb RS232/TTL cable, and it had 3 wires- red, black, and white. Black is the ground, and the other two are RX and TX. I soldered the ground to the negative pin on the board, and added pigtails to the RX and TX so that I could test them and swap them if they were wrong.

Does the VP100 have a programming mode that I'm missing? The programming instructions that I found online said to turn off the pager and put it in the cradle, but that's a lot different from some of the other voice pagers like the Minitors.

Thanks for the help, if I can get this figured out I'll take some pictures and post a DIY for everyone else.

fvolfd

I have the Apollo Pro VP-200 and would like to do the same. I've had success reading from my Minitor III using a modified Kenwood Serial DB9 to modular plug.

The online programming instructions for the VP-200 seem similar to the minitor method of switching to channel "C", etc. As for the VP-100, I don't own one, but I'm finding what you mention of simply having the pager off the the documentation I've seen.

I'm guessing you tried programming your VP-100 with and without power from your charging cradle.

A pin-out diagram for both the VP-100 and VP-200 sure would be nice. The VP-200 has 10 pin connections on the bottom of the pager and I'm not sure where to start.

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
He anyone been able to program a vp100 using a DIY programmer yet?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
He anyone been able to program a vp100 using a DIY programmer yet?

So I know I'm dragging this back from the dead but I was searching for an answer to this and couldn't find one so I just tore into the charger and got the pinout. I did a VP200Pro with the same radioshack scanner cable as the minitor v write up. Heres the pinout straight out of the charger.

That pinout being read from if the clip is pointing left and the knobs pointing down.
_____
| 10 9 |
X| 8 7 |
X| 6 5 | X Speaker side
X| 4 3 |
| 2__1|

Attachments

• IMG_20141229_160820_759.jpg
    IMG_20141229_160820_759.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,108

sfd119

To get the VPs in prog mode, you have to hold the squelch button on Mode C while starting up the pager. Keep holding it until it stops making noise.

Hoseman292

Re Apollo VP200

Perfect post Mr. Jones and I thank you for this contribution. I guess manufacturers don't consider private owners when it comes down to pricing programming hardware. For most of us $300-400 is a healthy investment just to ensure our devices are programmed to our satisfaction or to have the ability to modify how the device operates. Thanks for helping us out.

Anyone have the pin information for Swissphone? Preferably RE629, RE729 pagers?

So I know I'm dragging this back from the dead but I was searching for an answer to this and couldn't find one so I just tore into the charger and got the pinout. I did a VP200Pro with the same radioshack scanner cable as the minitor v write up. Heres the pinout straight out of the charger.

That pinout being read from if the clip is pointing left and the knobs pointing down.
_____
| 10 9 |
X| 8 7 |
X| 6 5 | X Speaker side
X| 4 3 |
| 2__1|

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,766

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Perfect post Mr. Jones and I thank you for this contribution. I guess manufacturers don't consider private owners when it comes down to pricing programming hardware. For most of us $300-400 is a healthy investment just to ensure our devices are programmed to our satisfaction or to have the ability to modify how the device operates. Thanks for helping us out.

Anyone have the pin information for Swissphone? Preferably RE629, RE729 pagers?

Thanks a ton. I'm glad someone has made use of it. I think I have the pinoit you're needing on my laptop but I won't be able to check until tomorrow. I'll definitely let you know.

Hoseman292

Motorola Alert Monitor - Quik Call II Conversion

Thanks Mr. Jones. I would truly appreciate it.

While we're on the topic of pager hacks, here is a simple modification to convert the Motorola Alert Monitor from Quik Call to Quik Call II.

There are a lot of these receivers floating around. The majority of them had decoders designed for the original Quik Call chord tones. Remove the case and install the indicated jumpers to the decoder circuit board and install the new Quik Call II vibrasponders to convert the receiver to function with Quik Call II.

Note: Vibrasponder for Tone A mounts in the first slot. Vibrasponder for Tone B should be mounted in the third slot leaving slots 2 and 4 vacant.

Demonstration - Alert Monitor decoding Quik Call II sequence.
https://youtu.be/oGnzm4Ky1Fc

Attachments

• 2-Tone Alert Receiver Mod.jpg
    2-Tone Alert Receiver Mod.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,552
  • 311317_2219862747808_4154056_n.jpg
    311317_2219862747808_4154056_n.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,508

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I've looked and looked on my laptop and can't find that pinout. I sold my last Swiss a while back so I don't have anything to try and figure it out with. Hopefully someone else can chime in with it.

Hoseman292

Any luck with the Swissphone info? No rush by any means. My pagers are working their second coat of dust. I was just reading over the thread and decided to ask.

KD8IZD

Solution Found for Apollo Pager Using Prolific USB Cable

I recently got an Apollo pager (VP200) that nobody knew how to program and had trouble locating the pinout for the programmer myself, I came to this post and found the info that led me to attempt it myself. Tasked with either paying $200+ for a programming cradle or building one from what I have lying around the house, I chose the latter and cheaper option. It took two brains an about an hour to find the solution, but this is what we found and decided to post for anyone else stuck with this problem. (Hoseman292, if I am repeating your diagram, I apologize, I couldn't tell if the "X" indicates speaker or what pins needed to be covered.)

For a Prolific Cable as previously described with red, black, and white wires (old Kenwood HT programming cable worked just fine) this is what I found to work for programming. Not sure if this will work for firmware updates I'm not confident enough with the steps required to perform a firmware flash to attempt it.

With speaker to the right, all explanations from the top down:
-Left column of pins
--WHITE wire to 3rd pin (center)

-Right column
--RED wire to 3rd pin (center)
--BLACK wire to 5th pin (Bottom)

Picture with colored arrows attached for consistency.

Attachments

• apollo pinout.jpg
    apollo pinout.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,339

Hoseman292

Apollo VP200

Oh cool!!!
I apologize for the delayed response. I had a few deaths in my family not long ago and have been occupied with their tax / estate issues.

If you any details for Swissphone pagers it would be great to know the location of their data pins
I have one RE529, two RE629, and one RE729 which I'm hoping to program one day.
I sent the RE529 to P&W years ago and it was programmed but not as expected,.
That's an issue with not owning the hardware. I've learned most pagers I've used require tweaking in the end. I almost bought one of the new Swissphone tone and voice pagers but changed my mind when learning of the added $400 cost for the programming kit and for aa 50 channel radio pager will demand a few writes before finalized.

Rubber_Duck

Hello, i found the pinouts for most Swissphone pagers on the FCC website.

https://fccid.io/L3M

Most have internal pictures and some have full schemas and BOM.

The inso leads me to believe tha this is the PINOUT

1 HF/NF/RESE
2 GND
3 ESD/VPP
4 RX
5 TX
6 CHARGE

This is the same for all(as far as i can see) "Type 1" pagers.

Do you have the software for the Hurricane DUO?

Attachments

• snip_20170711200048.jpg
    snip_20170711200048.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 890

sam55671

Premium Subscriber
Classic Software?

Does anybody have the RE729 Classic Programming Software?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.