• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DIY Dummy Load or just buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a dummy load for very short
term keys on GMRS channels.
Trying to track down SWR issues and I would
like to have a dummy load that will do 50 watt
max with very short keydown times. Obviously
has to cover min. of 460 to 470 mhz.
Do I look for a DIY homebrew project or do
I just buy a low cost dummy?

Delta33

Either. You can build a bank of three quarter or 1 watt carbon resistors rated for 50 ohms, or you can buy a 100 watt resistive load.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
That depends on what parts you have access to and how much time you want to spend. I think the MFJ-261 might do what you want. 100W peak, 15W average. It costs about $26 at gigaparts.com.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have the MFJ and it works just fine. UHF SWR connected directly to the meter is less than 1.1.

I haven't tried hitting it with more than 25 watts; you don't need high power to test SWR or look for cable problems. If you do have a cable problem, running low power reduces the chance of frying the RF output transistors in your radio anyhow. It never got noticeably warm hitting it with 25 watts for a few seconds (just long enough to get a SWR reading).

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
I like the MFJ-260C. It looks like it might be a little
more robust. Not that I need that because I don't
keep SWR meters in line all the time. I simply key
the mic, calibrate, rekey and read the SWR and Power.

Thank you for the replies guys.
Happy Thanksgiving to all

Status
Not open for further replies.