• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Dm-5r and dm-1801

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwdial

Hello all,
I hate to ask this, but I cannot get these two radios to communicate with each other in digital mode. Has anyone been able to get these two radios to work with each other, and if so how did you do it?

I am using the Baofeng 1801 software, but have to use the RD-5R software and the CPS software doesnt work.
Again, any help would be great.

mwdial

Yes of course. There is supposed to be a firmware update to fix this. New radios are supposed to have this installed already. This is why I took the chance.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You bought a cheap radio and potentially ignored the radio's bad ratings. Then you say claim that new radios were supposed to have a firmware fix. Who told you there was supposed to be a firmware update? Have you contacted them? Have you contacted the seller? Have you contacted the manufacturer?

mwdial

Yes I have. I have a pile of 1801s and they work great with each other. I'm not desperate to get the dm5r to work, I'm curious. I didnt expect people to be male reproductive organs about a simple question.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
There is supposed to be a firmware update to fix this. New radios are supposed to have this installed already. This is why I took the chance.
I just found this site that supposedly has the new firmware and related software (scroll to near the bottom of the page). I know nothing of the site or its reliability.

mwdial

Thank you for the constructive reply. I will see what they have.
I'm trying to help out a non profit that had 1801s and those radios are getting harder to find. So I'm trying to help find alternatives.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---
I own the 1801, it is alot more solid for the price range,
There is a trick to the radio, the firmware can not be installed below the shipped firmware, or you will get a "lower bt version" and you can look for the newest version.
There is also the open gd77 hack for the 1801, it still in the trial and error phase, but it works well for the most part.
The rd-5r is the updated version of the dm-5r and works ok but the support has been nill since the 1801 came out.
I would go with a gd-77 or dm-1801 as a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.