DMA/System Organization Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF4JZY

I have educated myself about DMA and Motorala SmartZone systems using various web resources and by tapping into the knowlwdge of local comm guys. I think I have a fairly decent understanding of Uniden's DMA and my local SmartZone system (Wake County, N.C. VIPER-- Scanner Frequencies: Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders (VIPER) Trunking System, Various, North Carolina), but my no means an expert. However, I am kind of hitting a road block on the most efficient way of organzing everything in my 396XT. Maybe, this is because there are many ways of doing it.

Currently, I have several systems setup in my scanner for different agencies all using the same C-Ch. For example, I have PD, Fire/EMS, Highway Patrol, etc. all in different systems but they are all accessing the same C-Ch. The only thing different is that the TGIDs in the groups under each system (besides quick keys and other non-essentials).

I saw that UPMan stated that this type of setup may not be the most efficient setup since it takes more time to scan multiple systems when they could be consolidated into one system, maybe using multiple groups (http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/148668-bcd996t-system-scan-speed.html).

Furthermore, there are two other sites that I would like to program in the scanner. Those sites will use some of the same TGIDs as my 'main' system, but maybe others (I get better reception from my apartment at these sites). Should they be setup as different systems while duplicating TGIDs from my 'main' system? That does not seem efficient to me.

The bottom line is that I am thinking I may need to re-work the organization of how I am currently programming my radio (using FreeScan).

I want to accomplish programming that is efficient, has a logical layout, and where I can turn sites/groups off/on using QKs.

Hopefully you can see my dilemma, and any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Brent

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, you've thought this out well. Unfortunately, setting up your schema is as much personal preference and art as it is science. So much depends on how you will be scanning...

Will you normally want to listen only to a specific agency? Then putting each agency in its own system makes sense.

Will you normally listen to multiple agencies? Well, then putting all the agencies in one system (but each agency in its own group) makes sense.

For the "different listening behavior in different environments" scenario, what I've done is basically duplicate all my systems. One set is for mobile, and has GPS coordinates and very granular agency selection (down to the patrol district). The systems in that set are all assigned to Startup Key 1.

My other setup is for listening at my desk: No GPS, all channels lumped together, etc. These systems are all assigned to Startup Key 2.

When I load it into the car, I power up holding 1 and all my SK2 systems are locked out, all my SK1 systems are unlocked (and a couple that don't change aren't assigned to a SK, so are left alone). GPS takes over and turns stuff on/off for me from that point.

When I load it onto my desk, I power up holding 2 and all my SK1 systems are locked out, all my SK2 systems are unlocked (ditto). I use SQKs from that point to narrow/widen what I am listening to.

But that is me. What is best for you will be based on your habits...

KF4JZY

UPMan,
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I see what you are saying. I had this idea in my mind that I wanted to avoid as much dulpication as possible. However, I think I may see that even if I have duplication I can still have efficiency by using startup keys as you mention or just manually locking them out when not needed.

What about different sites that will have the same TGIDs as the 'main' site (but not all, and maybe different ones) that I mainly only want to listen to from my apartment?

I suppose I could just create different systems for these and duplicate the TGIDs from the 'main' system/site. Or I could create additional sites under the 'main' system(s); however, there may be the need to add some TGIDs that are local only to those sites.

Either way, I will probably have to experiement some more to see what the best fit is. I want to think ahead at the same time though, so I don't have to re-do everything because of something later down the road.

Thanks again,
Brent

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Hey Brent,
We talked a little about this the other evening but I would like to add one big piece of advice: Don't overthink it :)
You will quickly come to realize that you will always be in a stage of tweaking your radio. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to have the "perfect" layout. Just enjoy having fun tweaking. I am always coming up with new systems and memory ideas :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

KF4JZY

Marshall,
You nailed me bud...I've been known to get paralysis from over-analysis :) I'm one of those types that run full-speed ahead to learn something new. I'll take your advice and just have fun tweaking.

Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.