DMA USB-1 Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
So i tried to find it but no joy, would somebody please direct me to an answer, is the USB-1 with HXA chip useless with win7? I would say this is the "old" cable. Can not seem to get freescan to talk to my bct-15 with windows 7 home premium? And if you know where to get one with the HXD chip? The uniden and scanner master sites are not specific about hxa or hxd.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Your message isn't specific about the steps you have taken. Did you load drivers? Just because you have the cable, that's not all you need. You need to load the drivers to make it look like you have a COM port - and that's done BEFORE you plug the cable into the PC....and you can look at Device Manager in Windows to see what port was allocated. The process is stupid - it can and sometimes does allocate a port that's already in use from something else...Mike

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Sorry forgot that part, I downloaded prolific 1.6 and 1.7 drivers for that and still no joy. Best I could find somebody posted 1.5 worked but not for me. Maybe someone has a better copy of 1.5?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Would the following link be of any help to you?

Products

The USB-1 cable with the HXA chipset DOES work with Win 7 (or it did for me before I migrated to Win 8).

The HXD chipset is needed if you use Windows 8. According to a recent post by Upman, USB-1 cables Uniden began shipping about a year ago have the HXD chipset.

Whether or not the ones Scannermaster ship have the HXD chipset is unknown to me. You'd probably have to ask them - though since you use Win 7, that's academic.

You could be having an issue with multiple installs of previous versions of the driver. Uninstalling the old drivers and reinstalling the latest might resolve the issue. Be sure that you do not connect the USB-1 cable until you have the latest drivers installed. Sometimes attaching the cable before installing the drivers can create a problem.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
More specific info. I ran my xp laptop freescan 2.17 with the usb-1 works fine. I found it was using driver 2.0.2.1 for xp. Then I downloaded prolific 1.9 un zipped installed without the cable plugged in on my windows 7 64bit desktop. It installed driver version 3.3.2.105 I also ran the check version program they had in the zip folder. My chip was detected as a pl-2303 XA/HXA chip. I ran freescan 2.17 on the win7 pc and no joy communicating with scanner. Tried auto detect as well as setting it manually com 4 baud rate 115200. I went to device manager for the com 4 to check port settings, default was 9600 I tried going to 115200 no joy. Then I tried the same process with two other win 7 computers. Same results. I guess the only fix will be to find the cable with the HXD chip?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A couple of other things to try:

1. Confirm that you have selected Front Port on your scanner and set that to 4800. That's done in the settings menu, set serial port. (I found that the hard way - I was using rear port for GPS purposes on my 996s, a similar scanner, and forgot to change the port for programming purposes).

Some times a slower speed works better. If 4800 works, then try higher speeds on the scanner settings.

2. Power down your computer and re-start. Sometimes, particularly when installing/uninstalling/installing drivers, a comport gets confused. The original driver may be "on the mind" of the comport. A power-down/power-up cycle can clear that fog.

If these don't work, and others may post some additional suggestions, then cable replacement may be the next step.

I don't think it is the chipset issue as the HXD is only needed for Windows 8. At any rate I'm sure the HXD is "backwards compatible" and will work with Win 7.

It is possible the cable may be defective, such as a broken wire or bad connector where it mates to the front port of the scanner. I suspect the USB end is working as when you checked the chipset version you received an appropriate response.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
More attempts failed. I tried every baud rate in the menu. Freescan cannot communicate with any of the three scanners I tried. Windows installed the driver from Prolific 1.9 version 3.4.62.293 and says in device manager is ready to use. No yellow warnings. I believe the next step is to find the HXD cable. The only combination that does work for this cable is my XP netbook, freescan 2.17. All the win7 computers do not work with this usb-1 cable XA/HXA chip.

cpuerror

What com port is being assigned? If its something like COM30 it is too high and should be changed to something like COM4.

Status
Not open for further replies.