• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DMR 4 Slot - had anyone else seen rumors this is coming soon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2OVX

I saw this is in the pipeline at Motorola. Has anyone else seen this, and is there anything official from Motorola about it ?
Or anything about it on the web ?

PACNWDude

Is this 6.25kHz that you are talking about.....like two-slot TDMA takes 25kHz, but effectively in two 12.5kHz pieces of spectrum? If that is the case, there has been talk for a while, and it will most likely get pushed out like 25 to 12.5 kHz channel spacing was delayed several times. Narrow-banding eventually took place at the beginning of 2013. Much later than it was originally proposed and talked about.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Is this 6.25kHz that you are talking about.....like two-slot TDMA takes 25kHz, but effectively in two 12.5kHz pieces of spectrum? If that is the case, there has been talk for a while, and it will most likely get pushed out like 25 to 12.5 kHz channel spacing was delayed several times. Narrow-banding eventually took place at the beginning of 2013. Much later than it was originally proposed and talked about.
Two slot TDMA uses one 12.5kHz channel and makes two 6.25e voice paths, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
2 slot TDMA is a 12.5 kHz wide channel, not 25 kHz. The time slots alternate, they don't sit side by side. 4 slot TDMA like OpenSky or TETRA uses a 25 kHz channel.

PACNWDude

Wow, margarita day hit me hard....yes 12.5 kHz wide, not 25 kHz wide for 2 slot TDMA.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
2 slot TDMA is a 12.5 kHz wide channel, not 25 kHz. The time slots alternate, they don't sit side by side. 4 slot TDMA like OpenSky or TETRA uses a 25 kHz channel.
What's the point, I thought the whole narrowbanding thing was to get rid of 25 kHz wide channels?
I guess if you need 4 slots then a 25kHz frequency is needed but you would not be able to locate another narrowband user next to any of these systems. I guess they must coordinate that also when working around an OpenSky or TETRA system though.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There are sections of spectrum that did not narrow band. 800MHz still allows 25KHz channels, but I cannot imagine Motorola sales would allow/do anything to jeopardize any of their P25 offerings.

I wonder if this is directed at other countries?

com501

4 slot TDMA has licensing issues in the USA. There are a few experimental licensing issued for testing, but 4-slot TDMA ie TETRA is an issue in the USA vs EU.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
4 slot TDMA has licensing issues in the USA. There are a few experimental licensing issued for testing, but 4-slot TDMA ie TETRA is an issue in the USA vs EU.
NYC Transit and NJ Transit are fully licensed to operate 4-slot TETRA in the 700 and 800 MHz bands, respectively. Nothing experimental about it, no waivers required, they have been issued full 10 year SY and YE licenses with 22K emissions. The NJ Transmit system operates outside of the NPSPAC 851-854 spectrum, per the FCC order in 2016.

com501

Where narrowbanding is required, as below 800, it isn't going to happen any time soon. In my part of the country, there is scant 800 usable because of terrain.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
When someone says 4 slot TRBO system...I immediately think of how Capacity Plus counts channels. Repeater 1, TS 1, TS 2. Repeater 2, TS 3, TS 4. Repeater 3, TS 5, TS 6...

So technically Motorola already has it...a 4 slot system is just a two channel Capacity Plus system. Want to put it in 25 kHz of spectrum? Let's pull a Kenwood (with NXDN dual 6.25 kHz channels in a common 12.5 kHz) and say we can do that...just need two Repeaters and a hybrid combiner.

Status
Not open for further replies.