• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng DMR-6x2 DMRII vs DMRIII

paintballer4lfe09

Premium Subscriber
Alright so don't hate on me too much as I'm brand new into the radio world outside of what I was told to do in the army which as I'm coming to realize isn't much in the civi world.

So here at home I have a handful of SDR dongles and I've been running DSD+ for DMR decoding for some frequencies around me from repeater sites. So I've got a handful of frequencies actively in use in my area and am referencing that to the radio reference databases which aren't matching up too well so I'm really just stuck checking talk groups on random frequencies listed on repeater sites further away from me. Anyway, all I'm trying to see is if I can program this DMR-6x2 for a DMRIII system but it seems either I'm programming it wrong or it just won't work with DMRIII - which won't surprise me as this radio seems quite cheap and I don't feel like shelling out a grand for a moto to then pay more to program it.

So before I start going more in depth with the programming, can I even use a DMRII radio on a DMRIII system? So far I'm experiencing a no go - also if you're wondering tx prohibit is enabled, I'm trying to program this handheld for my local ski resort so I can hear when they're dropping rope for the early ski season like now.

paintballer4lfe09

Premium Subscriber
No. Tier 3 is trunking, and that radio won't do it. You can still program all the frequencies individually and listen that way. Or buy a scanner.
Okay cool I guess 2 follow up questions then,

What's a good cheap-ish dmr3 scanner/radio that can do trunking?

Also, I've programmed the frequencies and the radio does show it's receiving data when people are transmitting however the radio does not omit any audio. I'm going to guess that's related to the talk groups? I can give an example if you want but not fully sure what needs to be configured just to listen into one freq.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

The only scanners designed to trunk track DMR are the Unidens with paid DMR upgrade. The Whistlers will scan individual freqs and act like it is trunking but it is sampling each freq not true trunking.

Of course, your SDR dongles using DSD+ will also trunk track the DMR3 system, $25 for a lifetime subscription to DSD+ is a lot cheaper than a scanner.

Also, I've programmed the frequencies and the radio does show it's receiving data when people are transmitting however the radio does not omit any audio. I'm going to guess that's related to the talk groups? I can give an example if you want but not fully sure what needs to be configured just to listen into one freq.

Yes, you must program the receive TGs in order to hear transmissions on most DMR radios. As a side reminder, unless you are authorized by the license holder to tx on the frequencies make sure you set it for receive only.

Last edited:

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

As was mentioned by the previous poster, the Unidens with DMR are the only ones that do it. Cheap-ish and the new Uniden scanners cannot be used in the same sentence. :) Cheap they ain't.

As far as not hearing audio, could be a number of things. I'm not familiar enough with that radio to know if it has promiscuous mode or not. If not, you likely need to add specific talkgroups to the receive list or such.

They also could be using encryption or such, in which case no radio or scanner is going to help you. If you use your dongle, can you hear them on the individual frequencies?