DMR and Ham Radio Hotspot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xbullworker

I am a hamradio op and own a Shark RF hotspot and a Uniden BCD536HP scanner. I am pondering getting the DMR upgrade for my Uniden. I want to RECORD the DMR Hotspot communications when I am not in my radio shack. I have found the record function to be extremely handy with the Public Service Freqs.

My question is, has anyone done this? Will the UNIDEN DMR upgrade allow me to do what I want? Don't want to spend the $$$ if it will not work.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I don't have the 536, but my 996p2 and 325p2 decode ham DMR, including my hotspot just fine. I don't see why recording would be an issue.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
With a Zumspot hotspot i've never been able to get my scanner to receive. I must be missing something.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Set it up as a DMR One-Freq Trunk, add your freq, and color code (or use search), you can even add talkgroups if you choose, or just let it search. I've also used Close Call (tempermental at times). I have vids of my 325p2 decoding on my YouTube channel.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what the issue is. I'll have to look at it again. It will decode fine off the local repeater when it was on the air.

Xbullworker

I assumed the Uniden w/DMR upgrade would decode DMR from a hamradio hotspot, the record part is what I am interested in. I want to record the hotspot when I am not in shack and hope the Uniden 536 will record/playback DMR.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I don't see why it wouldn't. To the scanner radio traffic is radio traffic.. Post back if it works or not, now I'm kinda curious ;-)

Xbullworker

I don't see why it wouldn't. To the scanner radio traffic is radio traffic.. Post back if it works or not, now I'm kinda curious ;-)

Yes I suspect DMR would record ok as I can record P25 Starcom, it is just that the DMR upgrade costs $$$$ and if the Uniden 536 DMR upgrade will not record my hotspot it would be a waste of money for me. I don't "need" another radio to listen to DMR as I have several DMR HT's......

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I am a hamradio op and own a Shark RF hotspot and a Uniden BCD536HP scanner. I am pondering getting the DMR upgrade for my Uniden. I want to RECORD the DMR Hotspot communications when I am not in my radio shack. I have found the record function to be extremely handy with the Public Service Freqs.

My question is, has anyone done this? Will the UNIDEN DMR upgrade allow me to do what I want? Don't want to spend the $$$ if it will not work.

You may have trouble getting this to work with a hotspot. Many networks are now set up as PTT activated with very few "always on" talkgroups (especially for hotspots), so you need to "kerchunk" a talkgroup to get it to affiliate to your hotspot. It will stay active on your hotspot as long as you're talking on it, but 15 minutes after the last PTT at your end, it will deaffiliate.

This is a good thing, as the transmitter on a hotspot isn't very robust, and continuous transmitting would probably burn it up after awhile. Even some repeater owners have reported roasted finals when the repeater was affiliated to a busy "always on" talkgroup.

Xbullworker

I use Brandmeister network mostly and BM allows one to setup Static (always on) TG's thru the BM Dashboard. I can also setup Static TG's thru the Shark RF hotspot web page interface. Also dynamic TG's (those that are kerchunked and disconnected with a TG4000) seem to act like a static TG on BM. I have kerchunked a TG to make it dynamic and come back hours later and it is still "on'. The biggest difference it seems to me, at least on BM network is the dynamic TG can be unlinked by a TG4000 kerchunk, whereas a Static TG can not be unlinked thru the radio, it must be unlinked by BM/ or Hotspot webpage...

Note that I am talking about my personal Hotspot in my radio room and NOT an accessible to all RF repeater.

Xbullworker

This is a good thing, as the transmitter on a hotspot isn't very robust, and continuous transmitting would probably burn it up after awhile. Even some repeater owners have reported roasted finals when the repeater was affiliated to a busy "always on" talkgroup.

This is a VERY good point, especially with the cheapo Pi-Star hotspots. I have had my Shark RF Openspot on near constant for 3 years plus and run the adjustable 20 mw xmtr at only 5 MW. This power will cover a couple of blocks and since the Hotspot is rated at 20mw max, my 5mw setting is very conservative.

Even using for long periods of time on a very active TG like TG 3100 Nationwide the Shark RF Openspot just keeps chugging out 5 mw of RF. Nope I do not have 3100 as a Static TG. Static TGs should always be lesser used TGs.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I use Brandmeister network mostly and BM allows one to setup Static (always on) TG's thru the BM Dashboard. I can also setup Static TG's thru the Shark RF hotspot web page interface. Also dynamic TG's (those that are kerchunked and disconnected with a TG4000) seem to act like a static TG on BM. I have kerchunked a TG to make it dynamic and come back hours later and it is still "on'. The biggest difference it seems to me, at least on BM network is the dynamic TG can be unlinked by a TG4000 kerchunk, whereas a Static TG can not be unlinked thru the radio, it must be unlinked by BM/ or Hotspot webpage...

Note that I am talking about my personal Hotspot in my radio room and NOT an accessible to all RF repeater.

BM has made some changes to their network, so you might want to review settings. In addition to some talkgroup affiliation tweaks, Server 3108 was removed from service, so if you were using that server better change; my repeater is on 3101 so it's OK but I wondered why my hotspots quit working and had to do some digging. They're both on 3101 now and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.