DMR and ProVoice Added to BCD996P2 and BCD325P2 Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
People keep saying "The price of DMR and NXDN is built into the price of the radio" referring to Whistler, but just even a brief search shows Whistler TRX-1's in several places being the same as, or lower than the newest Uniden handheld scanner (minus the DMR/NXDN updates)

So yes, you DO pay more for those "updates" and Whistlers ARE "free"
Are you sure about that?

The 325P2 MSRP is $499.99. MSRP for the TRX-1 is $649.99. As of this post, Scanner Master is selling the 325P2 at $369.95 and the TRX-1 at $509.95. Even if I add in the $60 DMR upgrade, the P2 is still cheaper. And let's say Uniden charges me another $60 for NXDN down the road...still $20 less at the current sale price.

So unless you're counting the price point on sites like eBay or Cragislist or during Amazon flash sales, I'm not sure where you got your numbers to justify your argument.

JRM5204

Shouldn't you be comparing the BCD436HP and TRX-1?

Are you sure about that?

The 325P2 MSRP is $499.99. MSRP for the TRX-1 is $649.99. As of this post, Scanner Master is selling the 325P2 at $369.95 and the TRX-1 at $509.95. Even if I add in the $60 DMR upgrade, the P2 is still cheaper. And let's say Uniden charges me another $60 for NXDN down the road...still $20 less at the current sale price.

So unless you're counting the price point on sites like eBay or Cragislist or during Amazon flash sales, I'm not sure where you got your numbers to justify your argument.

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
Shouldn't you be comparing the BCD436HP and TRX-1?

In this thread? No. Elsewhere? Absolutely, considering they're more akin to each other. Also, the specific user I quoted mentioned the "newest Uniden" handheld scanner, which would be the 325 by 14 months.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
ASE you do not have to buy the upgrade for $60 you could have to buy a new scanner for $600.
I have no provoice so I do not have to spend $50.
Hey GM I like this new line of tire put it on my used car and it is free right.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I paid $450 for my TRX-1 on Walmart.com.

Who would pay full MSRP on a scanner, when you can get them, with warranty, from other reputable dealers at a much lower cost? I didn't see the 536 on Walmart.com for $450. Even if I did, to have the same modes (if/when available) it would be considerably more.

My point stands, they are comparable in price at purchase point, and sometimes the TRX-1 is lower in price out of the box. -However, I would have to pay for DMR and (when) NXDN with a uniden, I would not with a Whistler. That makes the uniden more expensive when you get nickel and dime'd (Or $50'd and $60'd) for each digital format that whistler offers for free.

Shop around, don't base your logic on "MSRP". And I didn't base mine on fake amazon blitz's, etc.

Yep, Whistler is definitely the way to go I believe, still, I'm gonna sit on my $500 just a little while longer, see how things play out, reminds me of back when digital scanners came out (which sounded horrible), price dropped rapidly as I recall

pastormg2

Has anyone programmed a DMR system into the BCD325P2 using the Keypad?
I created a DMR system called Ham Dmr.
But after that I am utterly confused.
I basically want to scan a few DMR Repeaters on the 2 meter and 440 bands.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Griffin, KB3Z

n0gps

Need info on dmr

Need programming information on programming dmr for the ham radio frequencies

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I missed it or wrong place to post this, the BCD996P2 will not have the NEXEDGE added on,

Are you stating this as fact, asking a question, or making an assumption?

fireguyastro

Premium Subscriber
Dont pay for the upgrade

Either way if you go with Whistler you still are going to get charged for the DMR and NXDN. It's just built into the price of the radio.

But the good thing with the Uniden radios its an add on for each modulation. I added the DMR to my BCD536HP radio and will add the NXDN when the bugs are worked out and Uniden is really prepared to release their firmware upgrade.

I have 3 BCD996P2 radios and there is no point on adding DMR and NXDN to those radios. Just a waste of money for multiple Uniden Radios. I will just add NXDN to the BCD536HP and be done and have access to DMR and NXDN on 1 radio.

The rest of the radios will just stay as the work horses in the shack

You know what i find interesting Whistler its included why should i pay For digital voice upgrade when i can sell my scanner and buy a whistler that has it all included just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.