DMR and ProVoice Release for BCDxxxP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I don't know that we're going to see D Star or other similar formats, but it's possible. Maybe I'm being myopic in thinking of these as primarily public safety/public service scanners.

Personally, I'd like to see some further refinement in the Siren app, as well as improvements in DMR and P25 audio. NXDN will be nice, but it seems to be a distant second to MotoTrbo and DMR in terms of users.

Oh, and I'd love to, but don't expect to, see the ability to use Start Up keys for trunk sites on the x36HP. It's the one thing that the 996XT/P2 do that the x36HP scanners don't.

But I digress and I think UPMan has explained why that isn't possible given the differences in memory structure.

I try my best. In all honesty, I am very excited to see upgrades for additional scanners than were not original announced. It shows that Uniden is still doing development for their devices. A decent amount of x36 owners, including myself, have felt that they were not doing very much. This shows that we really don't know what they may have up their sleeves. I am actually somewhat excited to see what my come in the future now.

scottkrueger

Premium Subscriber
Downloaded new firmware no problem, bought DMR enter key information no problem. programed my BCD325P2 already listening to MOTOTRBO. I had no issues with downloading or entering key codes. Works great..Thank you

milcom_chaser

He just said you don't enter the hyphen....

Will ARC-XT be able to be used to program the DMR portion? That is the pivotal point for me ordering the DMR upgrade or not.

You might want to contact Butel, and ask if they have updated their software.

N4ZHM

Got my DMR key for my BCD325P2. I am very happy to be able to monitor DMR on my BCD325P2 now.
Have had that upgrade for my BCD536HP for a while and love it. Now hoping they do the NXDN upgrade
for the BCD536HP. My local police are using NXDN on one of their channels and would like to be able
to listen to them.

Last edited:

cmpsa

(upgrade install) worked on my end. Bought 2 DMR keys for two (2) BCD996P2 scanners. Both scanners have no digital receive (signal & RX audio).

Installed DMR key on 1 year-old scanner, accepted it. I data enter a VHF simplex freq via scanner front keypad and try "digital - Search" to see if it captures the color code and nothing. I change it to "digital - color code 1" and nothing. I put the DMR key into my 30 day old BCD996P2 and it does the same. I'm talking on a VHF portable in DMR mode, color code 1 and the scanner does nothing. Only twice while I was talking did the signal meter show full scale signal and audio came out of the speaker.

I just tried more talking on my portable and neither scanner show's it receiving the DMR signal. I tried another radio freq on my portable, programmed it into both scanner as a 2nd DMR test, and still nothing. I can talk DMR portable radio to portable radio just fine, but scnr is now showing any signal meter & not receiving.?. freq is correct. Do I need to align the DMR digital settings in my scanner?

thoughts ?

milcom_chaser

(upgrade install) worked on my end. Bought 2 DMR keys for two (2) BCD996P2 scanners. Both scanners have no digital receive (signal & RX audio).

Installed DMR key on 1 year-old scanner, accepted it. I data enter a VHF simplex freq via scanner front keypad and try "digital - Search" to see if it captures the color code and nothing. I change it to "digital - color code 1" and nothing. I put the DMR key into my 30 day old BCD996P2 and it does the same. I'm talking on a VHF portable in DMR mode, color code 1 and the scanner does nothing. Only twice while I was talking did the signal meter show full scale signal and audio came out of the speaker.

I just tried more talking on my portable and neither scanner show's it receiving the DMR signal. I tried another radio freq on my portable, programmed it into both scanner as a 2nd DMR test, and still nothing. I can talk DMR portable radio to portable radio just fine, but scnr is now showing any signal meter & not receiving.?. freq is correct. Do I need to align the DMR digital settings in my scanner?

thoughts ?

Did you create a system, and set it up as conventional?
Did you set the Audio type as Digital Only, and set "search" for any color code?
What are you using for a VHF DMR Radio? Baofeng DM-5R+ Dual Band?

Last edited:

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
This is great news, UPMAN! Started upgrading some of my scanners today.

However, one thing I noticed is that the Provoice update only works on trunked systems. I programmed a non-trunked conventional channel that I know uses non-encrypted Provoice and it will not decode.

When programmed as mixed voice, you'll hear the packets. When set to digital only, it ignores the transmission completely.

Is this something that can be worked into the next firmware update?

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree with some on here that say the DMR audio on the 996P2 sounds much clearer and crisp as compared to the 536. Upgrade went without a problem and I think I just found my dedicated DMR scanner. Now I can put the 536 to use as a dedicated Phase 1 and 2 scanner.
Uniden, thank you very much for this upgrade. I couldn't be a happier customer.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
.A scanner friend just informed me that a vendor of scanners just told him the 996P2 scanners produced after today will have the new 1.07.06 firmware included, does that mean they will include the DMR and wonder if the price will rise....They adv. on this web site...He said its possible guy didn't know what he was talking about.....

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
Having the newer firmware and the DMR or Provoice upgrades are not inclusive. The new firmware only allows the radio to decode DMR or Provoice. You have to actually purchase the upgrade to get a key to unlock those features.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have to agree with some on here that say the DMR audio on the 996P2 sounds much clearer and crisp as compared to the 536. Upgrade went without a problem and I think I just found my dedicated DMR scanner. Now I can put the 536 to use as a dedicated Phase 1 and 2 scanner.
Uniden, thank you very much for this upgrade. I couldn't be a happier customer.
One local DMR (MotoTRBO) system that is used locally for one of the air ambulance providers here does sound better on the 325P2.

Status
Not open for further replies.