DMR and PROVOICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidarambo

Hi guys. I'm ever learning this new hobby. Lol. Can someone explain dmr and provoice, if it's worth buying, is it used in my area, and is there a data base for them?

St. Mary Perish. Louisiana.

Thanks guys

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
DMR stands for Digital Mobile Radio. Here is a link to a document called "Amateur Radio Guide to DMR": http://www.dmr-marc.net/media/Amateur_Radio_Guide_to_DMR_Rev_I_20150510.pdf. It will give you some good, basic info about what DMR is, and how it's used in amateur radio. Here's another reference (from RadioReference): DMR - The RadioReference Wiki

Provoice is a type of digital modulation, used with EDACS digital radio: EDACS Provoice - The RadioReference Wiki

They are two entirely different things.

Provoice is worth buying if you have systems in your area that use it, and you want to monitor them. Here's a list in RadioReference of agencies that use Provoice: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/EDACS_Provoice_Digital_Systems_(Police/Fire).

The RadioReference database contained details about EDACS Provoice for quite some time. DMR is a newer addition. While you may find information in the database about it, it is likely very, very incomplete. It will take some time for users to add the relevant data. Your best bet for finding information about monitoring DMR is local resources. For example, I live in the Atlanta area, and use this website for details about amateur radio DMR repeaters: DMR-MARC Network.

Hope this helps as a starter.

73 - David, AG4F

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Since you mentioned both ProVoice and DMR in your question, I'm going to assume here that you are thinking of getting either the Uniden 436HP or 536HP since these 2 are the only ones to support both, with the required upgrades

You can get the links for the upgrades here; and if you look a bit further down the page, there's a link to a webtool that can be used to search out DMR data from the FCC database.

BCD436HP and BCD536HP Page 2 - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The Digital Frequency Search webtool is linked in the Supporting Software section of the page I mentioned earlier, but thanks anyway...Mike

SOUTH300

Hi guys. I'm ever learning this new hobby. Lol. Can someone explain dmr and provoice, if it's worth buying, is it used in my area, and is there a data base for them?

St. Mary Perish. Louisiana.

Thanks guys

David,

We do not have any Provoice systems in use in our area. There is at least one MotoTrbo (DMR) system, operated by Louisiana Radio, but it is limited to business users and is not very active. I would not recommend getting the upgrade at this time.

I would recommend programming LWIN into your scanner, and listen to the Baldwin tower. From Charenton you will be able to hear Troop I, St. Mary SO, Franklin, Baldwin, Chitimacha and everyone in between. Iberia SO is encrypted and so is all of Lafayette Parish. Occasionally you will hear long distance talkgroups when someone is passing through the area and tuned to their home talkgroup.

Technoguy58

All LWIN

Yes, the info above is very correct. There is no Provoice in your area. You might find some DMR (probably MotoTRBO) in oil field use but you would have to scan around to find it or check FCC records. Probably not worth fiddling with. In La. virtually all PS and lots of EMS as well as the odd DPW or what not is on LWIN. Also, put an a in place of the e in Perish. Parish is the right word. Perish is dying or decaying. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.