• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DMR and two tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
Well not trying to beat a dead horse.... but has anyone found a okay or cheap way to send twotone across DMR....??? I have an old Midian PDE-1 has anyone ever tried that i to the back of a xpr 4550 or xpr 2500...?

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
There is a group that I have worked with who have done 2 tone over Capacity Max systems with option board code. Not sure if your budget allows for a company to help you with this project. How important is the 2 tone to your operations? TT

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
I just need the base radio at dispatch to send the two tone I don't need the end user radios to decode it for say just to hear the tones through the speaker..

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
2 tone and any Digital Format is a nightmare they are still having issues with 2 tone and P25 not a do it yourself project.
Most tones will sound distorted from what I have heard.
From personal experience with QCII paging on a P25 Phase II system (TDMA talkgroups) with APX subscribers decoding those tones (Tone Signaling feature), they are every bit as reliable as analog paging being decoded with Minitors. The tones are generated in the subscriber by the AMBE+2 vocoder, so you wind up with a faithful reproduction. Of course it helps when the tones are being encoded by MCC 7500 consoles. If you try the same with a tone encoder designed for analog modulation, well then good luck. But to say that tone paging over digital is a "nightmare" is simply not accurate.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
From personal experience with QCII paging on a P25 Phase II system (TDMA talkgroups) with APX subscribers decoding those tones (Tone Signaling feature), they are every bit as reliable as analog paging being decoded with Minitors. The tones are generated in the subscriber by the AMBE+2 vocoder, so you wind up with a faithful reproduction. Of course it helps when the tones are being encoded by MCC 7500 consoles. If you try the same with a tone encoder designed for analog modulation, well then good luck. But to say that tone paging over digital is a "nightmare" is simply not accurate.

The key is having the AMBE+2 vocoder in the sending radio. We're doing tone paging over P25 Phase I using Harris XG75M control stations and Zetron Max consoles. The outgoing tones sound good and clean, and it sounds pretty clean at the receiving end for a variety of radios, including old M7100/P7100 and XTS/XTL stuff; even sounds reasonably decent from a scanner.

However, sending tones with anything older (Harris M7100, Moto XTL, etc) and you might as well forget it. Most tones will sound nasty.

Of course, the only radios we can decode with are those properly equipped for P25 paging. It's mainly moot since the tones are also going out over the analog paging channel, which is the primary alert channel. Paging over P25 is there in case any agency wants to implement Unication G4 or G4 pagers (with which it works great).

Firebuff880

Of course it helps when the tones are being encoded by MCC 7500 consoles. If you try the same with a tone encoder designed for analog modulation, well then good luck. But to say that tone paging over digital is a "nightmare" is simply not accurate.

I will second this, although the Avtec Scout (with the "Radio Driver") is a better option for the MOTOTRBO / DMR platform.

JRayfield

Sending two-tone tones over MOTOTRBO is not a problem at all. I set up a hospital/ambulance system that uses the text messaging for 'activating' portables for calls, but they still like to use the two-tone paging tones as 'alert' tones. They sound crystal clear. In this case, they're being generated by Telex CSoft consoles into XPR5350 control station radios. Most of the portables are XPR6550s.

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
Everyone thanks for all the good info on this subject.... I'm going to try the Midians tone controller I have and go from there
again thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.