BCD436HP/BCD536HP: DMR audio garbled

Status
Not open for further replies.

berobero

I'm a recent owner of the 436, purchased the DMR upgrade.
I'm trying to scan this system:
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked License - WQWL713 - SHORELINE SCHOOL DISTRICT #412 - Location 2

When I scanned the frequencies as conventional, it revealed a CAP system with color code 11.
I created a MOTOTRBO system, entered all 6 frequencies as sites, set color code 11.
I ran LCN analyzer all day and it found 6/6.

When I ran Discovery, it logs a handful of TG's, but most of the time no audio. When it does have audio, it is garbled. I uploaded the audio file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ytpkj67vbinnnt/DMR-garbleld-audio.wav?dl=0

The log entry for that audio file says this:
Detail_T_Log 11/21/2018 08:09:34 13 DIGITAL 7 1099 <blank> 11 1 <blank>

What can be causing this? What can I do to troubleshoot/improve this?
Thank you.

K4EET

Chaplain
berobero,

Firstly, Welcome to Radio Reference!

Second, another cause to the "garbled" transmissions, being a digital signal, if you are on the fringe of coverage, the received radio signal at your location may be weak enough that the resulting sound coming from your scanner is as if they are "underwater" to some extent.

To test out both theories, the use of encryption or if you are on the fringe of coverage, can you put your scanner in your car/truck and move closer to the area of transmissions? If the received signal becomes clear and audible, then you were too far from the transmissions. If the received signal remains "garbled" then they are using some form of encryption.

If you do find that you are on the fringe of coverage, you may be able to remedy that situation with a better antenna system. But to be able to suggest what you might be able to change, we need to know what you are currently using for an antenna at the location where you could not adequately receive the signal.

Let us know the outcome or if you have any questions. We are here to help you.

Cheers! Dave

Last edited:

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
As noted above I noticed the 436 will givr you the garbled audio or modulated digital sound in bad areas or the fringe edge of a system, low spots such as valleys is another area.

Better antenna may help or change location.

Encrypted wise I haven't ran into that issue with dmr or trbo yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.