DMR, BCD536HP, Programming, Videos, Lessons, Training, Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

guruuno

My Uniden BCD536HP has been sitting on my desk for a few years.
At one time I had my favorites programmed successfully via various software packages, tools, utilities, etc., and was somewhat content with it.
Much like anything else, the complete power and ability of the unit is not even experienced by let's say 10%. Meaning I'm feeling like I'm missing 90% of the abilities because I'm either getting senile, too old, or the damn unit is so complicated and convoluted you need some sort of degree to use it and learn it.
Bringing me to my point.
I'd like to keep it, use it, understand it, learn it, but I find too many scattered examples, discussions, videos, complaints, etc., to feel that it can easily be achieved.
After all, is it not the function and purpose of THIS very forum to assist in an "OUT THE GATE" step by step learning and sharing experience?
Anyway, I paid for all the special "add-on" 'keys' for 'voice', DMR, wi-fi dongle, everything, and I am stuck.
I live in Metuchen, NJ (08840), all I want to do is use the scanner in an EASY fashion to monitor local P25, DMR, and other interesting areas.
If I look for step by step DMR instructions, they do not exist.
Did I miss something?
Not even on Uniden's site is there anything other than the discussion of it's availability on the scanner, no instructions as to step by step how it works, how to use it.

So, additionally, reading in THESE posts, the reference to the Whistler TRX-2 seems to be the challenger to the BCD536HP and would I be better off selling the Uniden to get the Whistler?

I truly appreciate any assistance, as it is an extremely frustrating experience.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If I look for step by step DMR instructions, they do not exist.
Did I miss something?

Yes, you did. Have you checked youtube? There are literally hundreds of step by step videos for all aspects of operating and programming those scanners... including DMR.

Not even on Uniden's site is there anything other than the discussion of it's availability on the scanner, no instructions as to step by step how it works, how to use it.

I think you missed this on the Uniden page:

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/vi...RadioUpgrade#Programming_and_Using_DMR_and_Mo

Even Uniden and UPMan have quite a few videos on youtube.

Also, take a look at these manuals:

Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

BCDX36HP Sentinel Software Manual

So, additionally, reading in THESE posts, the reference to the Whistler TRX-2 seems to be the challenger to the BCD536HP and would I be better off selling the Uniden to get the Whistler?

That's getting a bit off-topic for this thread, but you can read through all the posts in this other thread where someone asked the same question:

https://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-discussion/351097-uniden-whistler.html

Last edited:

guruuno

Thanks, but....

The point of my post is exactly the reference to the YouTube videos, posts, etc.
There is NO organized, start here at step 1, follow these steps 2, 3, 4, etc., to achieve this and that.
Zero organization, not easy to follow.
How about this:
Uniden manufactures a device.
Uniden makes a users manual.
Uniden give exact instructions.
Why is it 3rd part person need to make videos, "easier to read" manuals, etc.?
This is my point.
I am an idiot, stupid, challenged, and do not get it.
I need the manufacturer to explain (ESPECIALLY THE NEWLY PAID FOR DMR FEATURES), this is my example.
So, although you elegantly provide the info, it is not the solution, answer.

pb_lonny

Using scanners these days requires a level of technical understanding that was not required in the past. This is not due to the scanners manufactures making them more complex but the fact that the systems they are listening to are more complex by design.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
You might want to check out K4DPS on youtube. He has done excellent step by step instructive videos on a vast number of topics related to these scanners.

You can complain about it until the cows come home or you can help yourself by expending a bit of effort to access the multiple resources out there to teach you about these things.

Your choice but whining in the forums isn't going to get you anywhere but more frustrated because you still won't know how to do anything.

guruuno

So, how's about some help then, after all, this is a forum where we help

Trying ProScan.
Got DMR list from digitalfrequencysearch for my local area, not particularly easy to figure how to take that info and put into hpd file via ARC or Proscan, when I copy and paste ino is not in fields as offered and then when I send/upload file to scanner, scanner is garbled on P25 + DMR encrypted channels.
Not clearly understanding the differences in the following: (as an example)

====================
318637 472.0500/1 CC 7 78 1111 NFM 211 00:00:02 04/24/17 20:36:47 04/24/17 20:42:45 Middlesex - Municipalities - Metuchen - Police Dispatch (Encrypted) Conventional Enc
====================
318637 472.0500/1 CC 7 78 1111 NFM 14 00:00:10 04/24/17 00:04:53 04/24/17 00:28:14 Middlesex - Municipalities - Metuchen - Police Dispatch (Encrypted) Conventional DMR
====================
What does the TalkGroup ID reference/mean?
What does the " / " after the freq. mean? 472.0500/1
What does CC7 mean for tone?
What is RSSI and why do the numbers show different for each reception?
Why do many show Enc for digital type and a few for the very same show DMR?

What do I do with all the info to clearly utilize the data while Proscan is in logging mode to integrate into the scanner? Is there an automated way to discern the data or is it like a spreadsheet that needs to be manipulated before sending to the scanner?

Is there zero opportunity to interpret the DMR or P25 data if 'encrypted' or just don't bother using any of it in the database at all (eliminate it) if it is encrypted?

Lot's of questions, not all easily extracted from the various sources referenced in the replies to my previous inquiries, so I felt it was more appropriate to ask. I'm sure I could pay someone to do it all, but then I'd never learn and understand, right? After all, this is one of the purposes of a forum where members contribute, right?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
guruuno,
I can answer a few questions.

how to take that info and put into hpd file
Use the Import Sentinel hpd... menu item located in the File menu. Before Importing, Open an existing Favorites List or create a new one.

What does the TalkGroup ID reference/mean?
There are many references that explains Talk Groups. Here are a couple of pages that should help

RadioSystemsOverview < UnidenMan4 < TWiki - Click the Trunked radio systems link

Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

What does the " / " after the freq. mean? 472.0500/1
What does CC7 mean for tone?
Slot 1 or 2 and Color Code. These are DMR specific. Read the following link for an explanation. This link was already provided to you but here it is again.

DigitalMobileRadioUpgrade < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

What is RSSI and why do the numbers show different for each reception?
Received Signal Strength Indicator. ProScan has an option located in the Options -> Logging tab called RSSI. Check that to use the the S- Meter bars in lieu of the PWR command.

What do I do with all the info to clearly utilize the data while Proscan is in logging mode to integrate into the scanner? Is there an automated way to discern the data or is it like a spreadsheet that needs to be manipulated before sending to the scanner?
You can do what you want with the logging data. You can put the data in a Favorites List and send it to the scanner if you want.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
As for the encrypted... You can not hear diddly on encrypted comms. You can use the data such as which RID/UID is being used, and TG etc.. But you won't ever be able to hear anything that is encrypted.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Let me answer this question a little better. It's pretty simple to get the data from the Logging into a Favorites list.

Steps:
Select the logging rows to import
Click the button "Copy/Move Selected Row To Database or Other File"
Choose Copy or Move
Choose Database and not Other File
Click the button "Copy"
Choose the Favorites List
Choose the System Type and hit OK

Last edited:

guruuno

Please clarify "You can use the data such as which RID/UID is being used, and TG etc"
How, do what with it, as in "use data", to achieve what result?
I'll assume TG is TalkGroup, but what is RID/UID?

guruuno

Also, please help understanding this:

During a search, when the scanner stops on a DMR transmission, the following information will be displayed:
"The scanner will also display the current slot number (S1 or S2) and the received color code".

What is S1 or S2 (Slot 1 or Slot 2) as used in radio communications?

What is the received color code, means what re: colors (do broadcast frequencies have a color associated wit them and to what extent is is used in the reference/description)?

guruuno

And please elaborate on:
At the Site level, enter the frequencies. As you enter each frequency, you will be prompted to enter an LCN:
What is a LCN?
You must enter the correct LCN. If you do not know the LCN, enter a placeholder LCN, then use LCN finder to determine the correct LCNs.
Enter a color for each frequency, if desired. Entering the color used by the system for that frequency will help to prevent cochannel interference. It is similar to NAC or CTCSS/DCS.

guruuno

And, just by having the statement in the reference as below does not assist me in knowing or understanding the verbiage associated to clearly digest the info.

DSD+ combines the LCN and Slot together in the style of MotoTRBO Capacity Plus. This combination was coined as LSN. You need to divide the upper number by two.

What is DSD and when it says "combined with LCN and Slot" and divide by to get, etc., what does all that mean, how is it relevant to the programming,

What is done with the numbers you "get" from the process?

1899/1900 would be 950
1941/1942 would be 971
1985/1986 would be 993

So, even though I'm pointed in the correct direction to assist in obtaining information, there still does not exist any clearly available "Beginners Guide To Understanding All This Stuff" anywhere, other that some of the examples I've provided, and it would be of tremendous benefit to make available or have a 'Sticky' that would allow beginners in this hobby to have a starting point.

Quite frankly, it reminds me of the 1970's and early 80's when Byte magazine was out and I had zero idea of most of the things discussed and referenced, way over my head, but years and years went by and other magazines or references came to be which made Byte irrelevant and my ability to comprehend much easier.

This is what I am searching for.

An EASY to comprehend guide that explains step by step, not assuming nomenclature is already known.

D

DaveNF2G

Oh, for the love of...

Go read something. Then ask questions.

It is obvious that you have made zero effort to obtain even the most basic understanding of the lingo and concepts. Scanning is not for the lazy any more.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I've moved the original question and all follow-ups to their own thread.

gonefishn1

Dont be RUDE

Oh, for the love of...

Go read something. Then ask questions.

It is obvious that you have made zero effort to obtain even the most basic understanding of the lingo and concepts. Scanning is not for the lazy any more.

Hey NEW YORK don't be RUDE!

This site is not for the RUDE and OBNOXIOUS !!!

Ubbe

If you struggle with the 536 I would recommend to sell it and get a whistler model. There you enter the frequencies and away you go, thats it, no worry about LCN or what type of DMR it is.

If you don't get the Uniden to work for you by downloading the database and selecting your zip code then try a whistler scanner. The Uniden are probably for the more technically oriented user and Whistler for the non fuzz user that wants to listen to the transmission and are not up to the technical challenge required to use a Uniden, if it doesn't play directly out of the box.

/Ubbe

guruuno

OK, may consider selling this when I get the Whistler TRX-2.
I'll order one this week, unless someone can point me to a place to get one for the lowest cost, as well as possibly already having one they may not be happy with, etc.
After a positive (I hope) evaluation, this 536 will be on eBay or wherever it can be sold for a fair price.

Status
Not open for further replies.