• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dmr beufeng programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve3opc

Considering buying one of the Beufeng DMR Radios...What programing software do I need, where do I get it and is my current programing cable compatible.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
This doesn't really have anything to do with Ontario. You'd be better off asking in the Budget Transceivers section.

But, FWIW.... you get what you pay for. Depending on the model (DM-5R etc) they only work on time slot 1. You would be far better off spending a few more $$ on a TYT or similar entry level radio. I recently picked up a Radioddity GD-77 and I'm quite happy with it.

WPXS472

If you are talking about the Baofeng DM5-R Plus, then I wouldn't. The only thing they are suitable for is listening. If you ever intend to transmit, you don't want one of these. The only software I am aware of for programming these is the stock Baofeng software that is available from their web portal. Last I heard, there is no version of Chirp for them. A standard USB to serial cable that works for the UV5 will work. That is what I have used, anyway.

dazey77

I believe you have to use a baofeng software. Pretty sure that third party software has not moved to cover digital.
As others suggest, the radio is limited because it is hardwired to transmit on both slot 1/2 at the same time. This means it is useable for simplex but unusable with repeaters. Depending on what the intended use is this may make it worthless or not but regardless it is seriously limited.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
The DM-5R CPS can be found here:

https://www.radioddity.com/2016-bao...plus-dual-band-dmr-digital-radio-2000mah.html

I use the same cable for my UV-5R and DM-5R.

If this is the radio that you are interested in, here's my $.02:

If you have any need for transmitting, don't buy this radio.

If you are only interested in receiving, there are things that you need to be aware of:

It will recieve VHF and UHF DMR.
Dual watch does not work when one of the channels is DMR.
Some of the radios (mine included) have an annoying squelch problem, whereas, every twenty seconds or so, the squelch breaks open, as though you are pressing the MONI button. This shuts off the scanning feature.
The radio, at this time, cannot be programmed using CHIRP.

Hope this helps,

Rich

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Frankly it's not even worth a thing for listening either. It's a useless bit of trash cobbled together that pretends to be a radio. I sent mine back within the first three days and got a full refund.

teufler

I use an Openspot. No one has detected when I use the DM-5R or any of my TYT radios. No difference at all . Mine are the DM-r5+ versions. Since the Openspot is slot 1, the radios come in very handy. They are small, lighter weight than the TYT radios. Using them , you give up some of the detail the TYT radios provide. Until I got the TYT 2017, they were useful for getting on analog repeaters, vhf and uhf. So not totally useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.