DMR by location

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I am in the Capital District of New York State. For travel purposes, I am looking for DMR information in "upstate" New York.

While Albany is in fact up state from NYC, people in this area tend to see New York as bounded by Schoharie to the west and Saratoga Springs and Glens Falls to the north. I'm only half kidding about this. The only DMR activity in upstate NY, according to the hams who have been involved in the DMR networks for a while, is between Albany and NYC.

I would be very surprised if the real "big cities" in NY (Smallbany is not one of them) have no ham DMR activity at all. But, I have not yet been able to locate a resource that would establish or locate such activity for certain. I grew up in Rochester, where AX.25, APRS and other computerized ham technologies were adopted early and fairly widely. There should be both DMR and D-Star activity in that area, unless the local ham population has changed drastically.

I want to create a Zone for my DMR rig that encompasses at least western New York. Ideally, a Zone could be created for traveling on the NYS Thruway (including west of Albany) as well. But I need the relevant info. Does anyone have pointers? TIA.

N8OHU

Did you check the database on dmr-marc.net? That's the best one for Motorola MotoTRBO repeaters.

D

DaveNF2G

I did. I also checked the individual affiliations for hams in various parts of the state. I am quite surprised to find that, in western NY where the really large population centers are, the most commonly used "home" system is in Canada.

N8OHU

I suspect that many of the radio clubs in western New York are more interested in pure ham systems like D-STAR and System Fusion than adapting commercial stuff like DMR in its various variations, so maybe that's why the DMR enthusiasts in that area use the Canadian DMR repeaters.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
The map at DMRX.net is probably the easiest tool for finding ham DMR repeaters (and what talkgroups are active on them). It's really an amazing tool.

N5TWB

The map at DMRX.net is probably the easiest tool for finding ham DMR repeaters (and what talkgroups are active on them). It's really an amazing tool.

Amazingly behind reality is more like it. It shows that OK and KS have no DMR repeaters but I know otherwise. So does DMR-MARC.

D

DaveNF2G

That's the same listing as the DMR-MARC search provides.

BTW, I think the Genesee County listing is in error. Based on the location of the licensee and his other repeater, I suspect it is actually in Bergen, New Jersey.

connscan

Dave, have you tried NJ TRBO website? They cover NY/NJ/PA.

It shows this repeater N2JTI Austerlitz NY
445.1875 -5 MHz Color Code 1.

Also. N2LBT Inlet NY
147.5300 - 3 MHz Color Code 1

Website address is: https://www.n2jti.net/home.html

Hope this helps. Coverage seems sparse upstate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.