• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DMR decryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

labradioone

Good day,

I've worked with decoding DMR using DSDPlus 1.074 , I have got encrypted output (Enc Group call) and information about it such as (Source, ID, Key and algorithm) .
I need software that could decrypt the decoded DMR voice.

Thank you

RayAir

Good day,

I've worked with decoding DMR using DSDPlus 1.074 , I have got encrypted output (Enc Group call) and information about it such as (Source, ID, Key and algorithm) .
I need software that could decrypt the decoded DMR voice.

Thank you

Yeah. It would be nice if it were that easy.

But:

It is illegal to decode encryption in the USA.
We cannot help you with this.

If you chose to go about it or you live somewhere where it is legal to attempt decrypting you'll likely have a steep learning curve and have to go about it yourself.

It most likely won't be doable.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I doubt you have the key (unless it was given to you) or you have spent the many many hours it would take you brute forcing the key or running rainbow tables. Only the key ID is sent over the air. The actual key is never sent. The radios use the key ID that is sent to know what key stored in the radio to use to unencrypt the audio/data.

ETA - There are 3 types of encryption for Motorola MotoTRBO. Basic - similar to rolling code inversion with a set number of codes to select from. Enhanced - 40 bit encryption that is similar to ADP and the programmer can select the key ID and key code to use. And on gen 2 radios there is AES-256 encryption.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Yeah your SOL if it's encrypted unless you know the encryption key which chances are you don't. Even the dept your trying to Monitor probably doesn't either. Only the person who loaded the key knows it. The keys are stored in the radio however most modern radios no matter how much prodding you try to do will not willingly reveal the key. Even if you clone a encrypted radio it usually never clones the keys because the keys are manually loaded in with a key loader and are not transferable from computer to radio.

labradioone

I think that the DSD latest version give me the ID,source and algorithm of the encrypted voice,,
by the way I don't care the encrypted voice but in fact I had a decoded voice which is not encrypted,,
I wonder if I had a signal which is not encrypted and rest of it is encrypted so why cannot someone get the other encrypted message ?

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I think that the DSD latest version give me the ID,source and algorithm of the encrypted voice,,
by the way I don't care the encrypted voice but in fact I had a decoded voice which is not encrypted,,
I wonder if I had a signal which is not encrypted and rest of it is encrypted so why cannot someone get the other encrypted message ?

That's my understanding of the latest version(s) that it will give the key ID and the algorithm type. I've noticed for whatever reason that some system admins program the radios to not be strapped with encryption. So you will have users that don't know any better and will have pressed (or not pressed) the button for enabling encryption and will TX in the clear while others are TXing with encryption. The receiving radio does not care if the encryption has been turned on, as long as it has the key programmed in the radio will decode the data.

labradioone

That's my understanding of the latest version(s) that it will give the key ID and the algorithm type. I've noticed for whatever reason that some system admins program the radios to not be strapped with encryption. So you will have users that don't know any better and will have pressed (or not pressed) the button for enabling encryption and will TX in the clear while others are TXing with encryption. The receiving radio does not care if the encryption has been turned on, as long as it has the key programmed in the radio will decode the data.

u know I have got a signal that has a half encrypted and the rest is decrypted in the same channel?
I wonder if it's a fault in the software or I have to make some specific options to DSD to get better signal output !

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind sometimes one half is while the other isn't. I listen to park rangers out here and dispatch is in clear while mobiles will often be encrypted same for some state agencies on their network. Sometimes one is while the other isn't.

That could be it.

labradioone

Keep in mind sometimes one half is while the other isn't. I listen to park rangers out here and dispatch is in clear while mobiles will often be encrypted same for some state agencies on their network. Sometimes one is while the other isn't.

That could be it.

I know the half-duplex feature of the walki-talki,
I'm talking about the same signal of a specific user that is encrypted and at its end you can listen to a decrypted voice that may say(over) for instance or the signal is non-encrypted but at its end you can listen to an encrypted voice ?
I think that I have to work with some software to have all clear signal !

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Most systems I've ever heard both dispatch/mobiles/portables all had encryption running full time end to end. I have encountered encryption on mutual aid talkgroups. People forgetting their radios are encrypted and requesting assistance to others who are repeatly saying turn off your encryption. Sad part is if you rarely do it or practice turning it off or simply you were never taught then it renders it useless in the first place. I am not 100% sure if you can flip a switch or promt through menus in MotoTRBO radios to activate or deactivate encryption.

SCPD

QRT
I can confirm that it is possible to turn on or off encryption on Motorola DMR radios through the menus, or through a programmable key if it has been programmed for that function.

hitechRadio

Most systems I've ever heard both dispatch/mobiles/portables all had encryption running full time end to end. I have encountered encryption on mutual aid talkgroups. People forgetting their radios are encrypted and requesting assistance to others who are repeatly saying turn off your encryption. Sad part is if you rarely do it or practice turning it off or simply you were never taught then it renders it useless in the first place. I am not 100% sure if you can flip a switch or promt through menus in MotoTRBO radios to activate or deactivate encryption.

Usually the fault of the person programming the radio, if MUT AID is encrypted.

At least on XTS/XTL/APX You are able to program the radio per channel/TG as either select/clear/secure. Select allows the user to select secure or clear. You can also ignore the radio switch selection when Secure or Clear is strapped in the programming.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
off topic

The man needs help decrypting DMR ,a worthwhile endeavor in my humble opinion, not some discussion about strapping encryption,

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
The man needs help decrypting DMR ,a worthwhile endeavor in my humble opinion, not some discussion about strapping encryption,

Well then it comes down to finding the correct color codes and time slots. Not an easy task, but not impossible either. My best offer is to try to run DSD plus to figure them out.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
IF USERS WERE ABLE TO generate Direct tv encryption to card programming, or hu card hacking, they has to be a way.

That had nothing to do with breaking encryption, it was all about vulnerabilities in the CAM to allow modifications to it's code. Even as hacked as the Videocipher II was back in the day, nobody ever actually broke it's DES encryption. It was just interception/hijacking of it's internal software.

Anyways, DSD+ will give a user all the details about what he's seeing on a DMR signal. If it's encrypted it stops there. And if there was software to decrypt it, it certainly wouldn't be discussed on here.

hitechRadio

I was just filling in the blanks for Johnls7424 in post#11.

maybe you should practice staying on topic yourself. comment of yours from the death of uniden thread:
I wish Uniden would pair up with some Chinese hackers and put a discriminator tap on their scanners. The Chinese would then let out a program on the net that can emulate and defeat ADP and all lesser forms of encryption. I will go to Radio Shack today and buy their last BC 396xt. You know people, 40 million dollars will only fund maybe a few radio systems. They would be crushed by Motorolas thugs. Or maybe Motorola is just "letting them exist".

The man needs help decrypting DMR ,

There is already means to decrypt ADP, problem is knowing the key. And as far as the actual decrypting the ADP by using a simple turn on the scanner and its decrypting, never gonna happen. And if by software decrypting, seriously doubt it would be allowed to be discussed on RR as Forts pointed out.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Perhaps there is some confusion in terminology. Decrypting vs decoding. Decoding we can do all day long and will certainly help someone out with. Decrypting would imply working with an encrypted signal.. Which isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.