DMR For listening to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

andygeekboy

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but there is an office building close to me that I can hear (digital signal) on my scanner.
My question is if I knew the talkgroup and color code would a DMR equipped HAM radio be able to decode?

Thanks

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but there is an office building close to me that I can hear (digital signal) on my scanner.
My question is if I knew the talkgroup and color code would a DMR equipped HAM radio be able to decode?

OR--You could monitor in "Promiscuous Mode" and not worry about TG's and color code: DMR Transciever for monitoring?

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I’m 99% sure it’s not encrypted and is simplex only

Yes a lot of the times they are which is nice. A lot of people on here have overobsession issues and like to be overdramatic like that in every single post for attention. I bought an old used Pro-18 last year for $90 and sent it into whistler for their firmware upgrade that added phase 2 and DMR as well as the missing WS1080 functions. It's really great the decode capability seems a bit better too on the modes it already had before the upgrade.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL

Are you sure that the signal is DMR? There are other digital modes in common use.

Or you can get a digital scanner like a UNDIEN 436HP and it should come up too.

The Uniden 436HP will receive P25 digital signals out of the box, but the DMR and NXDN digital modes each require an optional upgrade at additional cost.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Not familiar with all DMR radios popular in the ham radio community, but I've got a Connect Systems CS-750 that has a 'monitor' function.

If you park on an active DMR frequency and activate the 'monitor' function, the display will show the Slot, Radio ID, the Color Code and the Talk Group whenever someone transmits.. See image below showing Radio ID 131 on Talk Group 1000 using Color Code 1 on Slot 1. (This was a guy in a snow plow on a commercial channel).

It will only monitor the slot you're on.. You have to listen on one slot for a while and then the other to figure out what's being used on the frequency.
c750.jpg

andygeekboy

Are you sure that the signal is DMR? There are other digital modes in common use.
Yeah, I looked it up on the FCC website, deffo DMR

The Uniden 436HP will receive P25 digital signals out of the box, but the DMR and NXDN digital modes each require an optional upgrade at additional cost.
I have a DMR ham radio on the way, I'm just curious if it will be able to decode.

andygeekboy

Not familiar with all DMR radios popular in the ham radio community, but I've got a Connect Systems CS-750 that has a 'monitor' function.

If you park on an active DMR frequency and activate the 'monitor' function, the display will show the Slot, Radio ID, the Color Code and the Talk Group whenever someone transmits.. See image below showing Radio ID 131 on Talk Group 1000 using Color Code 1 on Slot 1. (This was a guy in a snow plow on a commercial channel).

It will only monitor the slot you're on.. You have to listen on one slot for a while and then the other to figure out what's being used on the frequency.
View attachment 77281

Nice!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber

Thanks
Yes, I use my Anytone 878UV to monitor non-amateur DMR one-frequency channels all the time. Doesn't miss a beat. As long as encryption isn't in use on the frequency you are monitoring, you should be able to pick up without needing to know TGID or CC

andygeekboy

Yes, I use my Anytone 878UV to monitor non-amateur DMR one-frequency channels all the time. Doesn't miss a beat. As long as encryption isn't in use on the frequency you are monitoring, you should be able to pick up without needing to know TGID or CC
Yes!
This is what I wanted to hear!
Thanks!

enCrypt

You wont hear anything on a "ham" DMR radio if it happens to be a system with RAS enabled (Restricted Access to System), you'll need a DMR capable scanner for that, or a laptop / SDR / DSD+ combo....

enCrypt

Thanks, out of curiosity, apart from trying (and failing) how would I find this out?
You'd either need to know in advance that the system had the option enabled, or if you setup a laptop / SDR / DSD+ combo, that will tell you if RAS is enabled on whatever frequency you're listening to. (This is a whole other subject but well covered in the Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software section of these forums)

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
You wont hear anything on a "ham" DMR radio if it happens to be a system with RAS enabled (Restricted Access to System), you'll need a DMR capable scanner for that, or a laptop / SDR / DSD+ combo....
If it's a simplex channel, as the OP indicates, is RAS even available?

enCrypt

If it's a simplex channel, as the OP indicates, is RAS even available?
That I'm not sure of. I only have a Motorola CAP+ system near me that uses it so that's the only thing I have to compare to. I just wanted to put it out there so the OP didnt get their hopes up that using a TX capable DMR radio would be the solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.