• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DMR For Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Good points guys! I really appreciate the info and input, I believe I will stay with the P25 route considering that they are built and tested for first responder (specifically fire) environments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't push P25 unless there's funding available elsewhere for you to get into it. For one, most grant money will demand new (with bill of sale) products, so you're looking at whatever brand new P25 repeater and handheld/mobile units you end up liking/affording. For Motorola, you're talking about a GTR8000 (which start around $12,000 and go up as you add P25 and other goodies), and APX4000 models (add another $4k per radio), with APX4500s for your fire trucks and such... and you see where this is going. Harris/Tait and Kenwood/EF Johnson will sell comparable products cheaper, but still WAY more than DMR range.

Now let's look at DMR. The repeaters from Motorola or Hytera will cost around $4000 tops. You get the "two channels for one frequency" benefit. The mobile radios with remote mount will be pretty much just as durable as the standard APX as long as you're not physically beating or spraying them down. If they are broken - they cost just as much to replace as any other head. Your HTs can be XPR7550 CSA models which will give you more durability, but the winner is that you can still use the XE mics from the APX line which are designed for fire use.

In the end of the day - this setup is no more different than the TONS of departments out there that used HT750 and HT1250 radios for fire use with zero issues - which were never billed as "public safety" grade either. Their benefit in the end was that they could buy the radios for $500 brand new and re-case them for less than $100 if someone dropped it badly enough. That was WAY less than a single XTS3000 at the time.

If you don't have a specific need for P25... don't do it. We have plenty of departments here that went out "on their own" to get P25 systems... some using grant funds they applied for... to find out that their system doesn't meet interoperability and to be added later to the state 800 system means they'll have to dismantle their entire system. Just stick with DMR until your county or state gives you a reason to go with P25... like being on a statewide system where their techs shoulder keeping the system running for you.

Also to add: don't fall for trying to get surplus stuff from other counties or states as others suggested. Your headache with your XTS3000 will be the typical day at that point and Motorola especially is pushing the APX line HARD. Here in SC it's at the point where if an XTS2500 breaks... it gets replaced with an APX. New department gets on the system? Have to get new APXs... never mind if departments are turning in their 2500s that still work.

DMR works. Plain and simple. I run a 28-site linked network that has only had 2 repeaters fail in 5 years - none of them the newer SLR series. They work in hot/cold/high RF environment... you name it. In the EU and Asia many are turning to TETRA - which is pretty much a nice gussied up iDEN Nextel-type system for their public safety. Their "terminals" are pretty much rugged phones. They work just as well. This "you need an extreme duty radio otherwise it won't survive" is mostly hype. If you wear your equipment properly (like keeping your RSM cable under your turnout gear) you don't need some ridiculous kevlar-lined high temp RSM like Harris is pushing with their XL-200p... Just food for thought.

Last edited:

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
In the EU and Asia many are turning to TETRA - which is pretty much a nice gussied up iDEN Nextel-type system for their public safety. Their "terminals" are pretty much rugged phones. They work just as well. This "you need an extreme duty radio otherwise it won't survive" is mostly hype. If you wear your equipment properly (like keeping your RSM cable under your turnout gear) you don't need some ridiculous kevlar-lined high temp RSM like Harris is pushing with their XL-200p... Just food for thought.

Very interesting you point out TETRA terminals.

All throughout Europe you see Police, Fire, EMS, Military, etc... all using devices like the MTP850, SRH3900 etc... Those are exactly what you said - a ruggedized phone. They work just fine there, and are inexpensive enough that should one fail, it's a toss-and-replace operation. There's no applications over in North America that are any more demanding of equipment than what you see overseas. Clearly the sales people are better paid over here though. I've used a TETRA terminal before, which felt actually LESS durable than an XPR7550, but yet they're used by hundreds of agencies. Go figure.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting you point out TETRA terminals.

All throughout Europe you see Police, Fire, EMS, Military, etc... all using devices like the MTP850, SRH3900 etc... Those are exactly what you said - a ruggedized phone. They work just fine there, and are inexpensive enough that should one fail, it's a toss-and-replace operation. There's no applications over in North America that are any more demanding of equipment than what you see overseas. Clearly the sales people are better paid over here though. I've used a TETRA terminal before, which felt actually LESS durable than an XPR7550, but yet they're used by hundreds of agencies. Go figure.

I bring it up because of the same thing. I have worked in those countries where for interoperability I had one of their MTP850s and one of our XTS5000s at the same time. The MTP is literally half the radio that the XTS is - but it was amazing that I never got the trunked system "bonk" when using it, it had private calling, it had a PBX tie-in so I could call extensions in the building (or even order a pizza if I wanted to)... it was amazing.

I have followed the NJ Transit system and how they were able to get it past the FCC here in the US... because my dream is to open up a statewide TETRA system one day to the likes of how SouthernLINC still uses iDEN in Georgia.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I bring it up because of the same thing. I have worked in those countries where for interoperability I had one of their MTP850s and one of our XTS5000s at the same time. The MTP is literally half the radio that the XTS is - but it was amazing that I never got the trunked system "bonk" when using it, it had private calling, it had a PBX tie-in so I could call extensions in the building (or even order a pizza if I wanted to)... it was amazing.

I have followed the NJ Transit system and how they were able to get it past the FCC here in the US... because my dream is to open up a statewide TETRA system one day to the likes of how SouthernLINC still uses iDEN in Georgia.

A man had that same dream in Texas. He started and stopped in Houston. Now he's replacing everything with Capacity Max.

Raccon

You may want to rethink that, TETRA is by now "old technology" that is coming to its end of life in maybe 5-10 years (my estimate).

As to DMR, it may be used by public safety but it is not intended for mission-critical systems and currently there is no infrastructure that would support the features required for that. Furthermore interoperability is nowhere close to what you can get with TETRA for example. Maybe DMR will get there one day but it isn't there yet.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You may want to rethink that, TETRA is by now "old technology" that is coming to its end of life in maybe 5-10 years (my estimate).

As to DMR, it may be used by public safety but it is not intended for mission-critical systems and currently there is no infrastructure that would support the features required for that. Furthermore interoperability is nowhere close to what you can get with TETRA for example. Maybe DMR will get there one day but it isn't there yet.

The first version of TETRA was published in 1995 which makes it just about the same age as P25.

NavyBOFH

Premium Subscriber
Interoperability is a loaded term. Even here in SC we are on a state-wide 800 system. DPS and DOT still use low-band with 800 available. SLED and FBI use their own VHF systems with 800 available. The problem is they have to pay to have 800 interoperability OR pay for APX radios. There is no "free lunch".

DMR "interoperability" will work the same way as P25. You'll have a bank with federal and/or state VTAC or UTAC frequencies programmed for larger incidents.

Hell for the right price you can set up a DMR repeater for dispatch/ops and still have money for a duplexer/combiner to then add ANOTHER DMR repeater and have it on mixed mode for DMR or analog. Or put it up with UTAC available to the area for interoperability.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I agree in that interoperability is a loaded term.

In our agency, our old interop site had an ACU1000 and had a bank of our systems radios and another bank of radios for each of the agencies in the local area. We allocated certain talkgroups on our system, like police, EMS and fire dispatch along with several TAC channels. Then we had the other agency channels/talkgroups, like NC SHP lowband, County Sheriff, City Police, Fire, EMS, Coast Guard Ch 16, etc.

It didn't matter that the other agencies were not capable of trunking or P25 or any other sort of mode or frequency. The ACU1000 took the audio of our system and patched it to the other system(s). Our dispatcher(s) could control the ACU1000 at will and could patch one or more channels/talkgroups together. Then our old analog UHF TRS talkgroups could seamlessly talk to the lowband SHP or any other agency with no problem.

There really is no need for smaller agencies to jump on the band-wagon once a larger agency moves to a new system as long as proper planning goes into the pot. A linking solution like I mentioned above can be purchased for less money than upgrading every single radio that ever wants to talk with the new system and that linking system will allow older radios to communicate with the brand-new Phase II equipment without any special programming or authorization (other than coordinating a channel for the ACU1000.

/rant

Status
Not open for further replies.