• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DMR GPS ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blastco2

I have recently become curious about DMR. Having no experience with DMR, never heard it or even seen any of the equipment first hand. The lower cost radios and reported good audio over an acceptable distance, is intriguing. All the reading and searching has left me with a, very important to me, question. During simplex operations 1st and repeater ops 2nd, can the gps information be accessed to locate one another. For instance, can the gps coordinate of the recieved signal be displayed on the radio? Or a heading and distance? Or both? This would be quite handy for sar ops or hunting or backcountry recreation in general.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
never heard it or even seen any of the equipment first hand.
Depend where you life its not that hard. Some People here use (old) Tetra Radio who are also used by the Gov.
Some Company use Hytera here and some Motorola (Analogue).
can the gps information be accessed to locate one another.
What i figgure out is that the GPS Function is quite useless when you are not have direct acess to the Repeater or with an SDR Dongle with DSD+.
For instance, can the gps coordinate of the recieved signal be displayed on the radio?
The question is what did you with that coordinate on your Display?
The interesting part is get the Data out of the dawn radio into an (PDA) Phone, Laptop, Tablet to see it on a Map. I ask here a lot of people but nobody could tell me an real solution for.
On Car, "Fixe" Radios there is an Connector who have an Data output who makes it possible to read something out with an (expensive) Software.
But when you are on your bare food walking in the Woods or be in a City its impossible to get it on.

blastco2

There are no dmr repeaters in my area. There is at least one maybe 2 d-star repeaters. So, dmr would be simplex. What I would like to do is use dmr like the garmin rino in a limited way. If the coordinate were displayed it could be manually transfered to backcountry navigator for display on a topo map.

Your_account

Banned
If the coordinate were displayed it could be manually transfered
depend on your device.
What do you want to use? Hand Mobile or Car Mobile?

djs13pa

Not sure on simplex but GPS is highly regarded as no go. In the commercial world data is one time slot and voice is the other. Hams do voice on both times lots. Anyone connected to DMR MARCs network is not allowed GPS for this reason.

Not sure on Brandmeister's policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your_account

Banned
What is wrong with send the GPS Pos with Voice Together?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The TYT MD-390 can be configured to TX a GPS data packet when the radio unkeys. The GPS data is sent on the voice channel (same color code, talkgroup, etc). It adds maybe 250 milliseconds to the end of the transmission. I presume other brands of radios can be configured similarly, and I don't see how that would be an unacceptable data overhead.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Not sure on simplex but GPS is highly regarded as no go. In the commercial world data is one time slot and voice is the other. Hams do voice on both times lots. Anyone connected to DMR MARCs network is not allowed GPS for this reason.

Not sure on Brandmeister's policy.

Brandmeister uses voice on both timeslots *and* supports GPS operation. This invalidates your reason for MARC not supporting GPS.

On Brandmeister, the data is sent on the same timeslot you're using for voice during breaks in the conversation.

blastco2

The TYT MD-390 can be configured to TX a GPS data packet when the radio unkeys. The GPS data is sent on the voice channel (same color code, talkgroup, etc). It adds maybe 250 milliseconds to the end of the transmission. I presume other brands of radios can be configured similarly, and I don't see how that would be an unacceptable data overhead.
Thank you! That is the information that I have been looking for. Another quick question for clarification.... does the txt message display a gps coordinate? And what format is it in?

Status
Not open for further replies.