DMR hopes for the PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

My tool does not currently handle DSP files. The good thing is the same DSP file iwas used across a number of scanners, so it maybe a simple matter to add functionality. Version 1.3 is the version that supported P25 Phase 2 in the PSR-800. My last working version was CPU 4.1 and DSP 2.2.

Version 3.0 - December 15, 2016 dsp_0101
Add support for NXDN

Version 2.3 - June 21, 2016 dsp_0???
Change how DMR PDUs are sent to CPU

Version 2.2 - June 16, 2016 dsp_0093
Revisions to DMR and X2 processing
Add DMR Simplex processing

Version 2.1 - May 31, 2016 dsp_0090
Added DMR

Version 1.3 - March 24, 2014 dsp_0075
Initial Whistler Release

73 Eric

scosgt

Got it working on the 668, can not confirm that P25 or DMR works yet, don't have much of either around here.
Will this (theoretically) enable Pahse 2 on the PRO-18?

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
I can verify that Firmware 3.8 and DSP 3.0 work on the PSR-800. Thank you Eric. I know have a PSR-800 that can decode DMR!
Hello,

I did some testing and found that DSP 3.0 is not the problem. CPU 3.9 and above does not work. I also found that the DSP file gets copied to the SD Card as CONFIG__.BIN The PC app will write the CONFIG__.BIN file whenever it writes the configuration to the SD card.

There is always the danger of something breaking on a firmware update, especially on an unsupported platform. That is why this is very experimental and not mainstream.

Remember to turn off the battery charging in the configuration. The unit will still be powered by the USB when plugged in, but it will not charge the battery.

73 Eric

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
So, all we need is CPU version 3.8 and we're good to go?
Hello,

You need CPU Version 3.8, and the latest version of the WS-1080 PC App. You use the PC App to upgrade the DSP to version 3.0. Do not use the PC App to upgrade the CPU.

73 Eric

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

You need CPU Version 3.8, and the latest version of the WS-1080 PC App. You use the PC App to upgrade the DSP to version 3.0. Do not use the PC App to upgrade the CPU.

73 Eric
I've got all that, but your app downloads CPU version 4.4, not 3.8.
EDIT: Disregard; I got what I needed.

Last edited:

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I've got all that, but your app downloads CPU version 4.4, not 3.8.
EDIT: Disregard; I got what I needed.

How and where? I'm seeing the same thing you initially said. Do please teach this poor befuddled mortal.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
For the record and knowledge of people to find this later:

Use Eric's tool to load FW 3.8. You need to get this from a buddy who has it, as Whistler knocks down old FW files after new ones come out... PM me if you're in need. There's no super secret way to locate it somewhere.

Use Whistler's EZScanDG to load DSP 3.0

Enjoy.

And thank you, W4KRR. Very helpful explanation.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Unfortunately I did not create a link to the readme.txt file that is in the same directory as the tool. It is the same text as the wiki page.
https://github.com/LinuxSheeple-E/GREFwTool/wiki

I would not expect being able to update the scanner beyond CPU 3.8 and DSP 3.0. CPU 3.9 to CPU 4.4 causes problems receiving P25 and DMR. It appears that DSP 3.0 was released to support CPU 4.4 and fortunately is backwards compatible. This is not always the case.

One nice added feature with the firmware is being able to edit objects on the scanner. You can read how to use the new features at this link.
Easier to Read Whistler WS1080/1088 Handheld Scanner and Software Manual

I also turn off battery charging in the configuration as I find it a bit wonky on the PSR-800 and charge batteries faster by using a charger anyway.

73 Eric

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Since "upgrading" my PSR-800, I notice that DMR performance seems to be better than it is on the TRX-1. Anyone else notice this, or is it just my imagination?

trp2525

Since "upgrading" my PSR-800, I notice that DMR performance seems to be better than it is on the TRX-1. Anyone else notice this, or is it just my imagination?

It has been reported that there is a difference in the front end of the TRX-1 compared to the older PSR-800. Based on that information the performance difference(s) that you are noticing is(are) certainly possible between the 2 radios.

That being said, the price that you "paid" for the DMR upgrade for your PSR-800 might have you imagining that it is better than the TRX-1! LOL

CanesFan95

I'm confused about how to actually do this. I have a PSR-800 and installed the GREFwTool. How do you actually load the "hacked" firmware version into the PSR-800 to make it do DMR? Where do you get the "hacked" firmware version from and what type of file is it?

Will it do Capacity and Connect Plus trunking, or conventional only? And, how will this affect the use of the EZ Scan software? If I program a DMR frequency into the EZ Scan software, how do I "tell" the software it's a DMR frequency?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused about how to actually do this. I have a PSR-800 and installed the GREFwTool. How do you actually load the "hacked" firmware version into the PSR-800 to make it do DMR? Where do you get the "hacked" firmware version from and what type of file is it?

Will it do Capacity and Connect Plus trunking, or conventional only? And, how will this affect the use of the EZ Scan software? If I program a DMR frequency into the EZ Scan software, how do I "tell" the software it's a DMR frequency?

PM sent.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
First of all, have a look at the instruction page. https://github.com/LinuxSheeple-E/GREFwTool/wiki

If you follow the instructions, you should have no problem.

I believe there is a link to the 3.8 firmware in this thread. The firmware is not "hacked". You will be using the original 3.8 firmware written for the 1080. The tool more or less makes the firmware think the PSR-800 is a 1080. There is a bit more to it, I'm sure.

The PSR-800 will do Cap+ and Con+ as well as conventional. Once you do the firmware trick, you'll no longer be able to use EZ Scan for the 800. You'll have to download and use EZ Scan for the 1080. You can get that from Whistler on their scanner downloads page. The 1080 software is setup to allow DMR programming.

CanesFan95

Is there any way to take your PSR-800 codeplug and re-load it into the PSR-800 with the WS-1080 EZ Scan software after you do the flash upgrade? Or do you have to manually re-program the radio with all your systems and objects from scratch again? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.