DMR hopes for the PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to take your PSR-800 codeplug and re-load it into the PSR-800 with the WS-1080 EZ Scan software after you do the flash upgrade? Or do you have to manually re-program the radio with all your systems and objects from scratch again? Thanks.

Use the PSR-800 EZ Scan software to save your current configuration to a file. Then once you upgrade, use the EZ Scan software intended for the WS-1080 to open the configuration file you saved from the PSR-800. I actually opened a file that was saved from my TRX-1 using the WS-1080 software; it worked just fine.

The upgrade shouldn't erase you current configuration anyway.

CanesFan95

Understood, thanks. It looks like you save the configuration as a .zip file by going to File > Save To Archive in the PSR-800 EZ Scan software. Then you get a file directory prompt where you want to save the .zip file to. Then you open the WS-1080 EZ Scan software and go to File > Restore Configuration from Archive. Then you get another directory prompt where you can select the .zip file you saved and then click Open. The WS-1080 EZ Scan software loads the codeplug and you're all set!

Under the Advanced Features tab in the WS-1080 EZ Scan software, I went ahead and set the Charge Hours drop down menu setting to Disable, to disable the Battery Charge Option.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to take your PSR-800 codeplug and re-load it into the PSR-800 with the WS-1080 EZ Scan software after you do the flash upgrade? Or do you have to manually re-program the radio with all your systems and objects from scratch again? Thanks.
Hello,

Other people could likely comment on this better as my experience is more incremental.

I do not think there is any problem upgrading the firmware and using the WS-1080 Ez-Scan to read the configuration back into the WS-1080 Ez-Scan program. People have even used the WS-1080 Ez-Scan program with the PSR-800 using stock PSR-800 firmware. I would check the settings in the WS-1080 Ez-Scan program and make sure they are set correctly. I would also recommend the Battery Charging be turned off because the PSR-800 charge circuit is different than the WS1080. Battery charging in the scanner is not very good anyway.

I suspect that the same basic file formats are used between scanners with additional values for the added modes. I had DMR channels programmed into my Pro-668 when I went back to the stock firmware. The scanner still worked on non-DMR channels, but beeped during powerup. It likely beeped because the stock firmware did not recognize the values used for DMR channels. It appears there are only one set of RRDB files that are downloaded. Either the PC App or the scanner filter unsupported system types.

73 Eric

trp2525

I have downloaded the whistler 1080 software and I see Version 2.17 will this work on the 800?

It will work with your PSR-800 once you have "converted" your PSR-800 to a Whistler WS1080 by using the firmware tool.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
And once you're done with the updating, the WS1080 programming software should reflect a CPU Firmware version of 3.8 and a DSP Firmware version of 3.0, under "Updates", "Check for all Updates".

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I plug in the usb in the computer than into radio than I hit power button and menu button at same time and it turns radio on is there a step I missed?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I plug in the usb in the computer than into radio than I hit power button and menu button at same time and it turns radio on is there a step I missed?

That should put the radio in firmware update mode; screen shows current CPU and DSP version.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
That should put the radio in firmware update mode; screen shows current CPU and DSP version.

It won't show the CPU and DSP. I'm on step 1 and it won't let me pull nothing up. Do I need to take out the batteries while using the usb cord?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
It won't show the CPU and DSP. I'm on step 1 and it won't let me pull nothing up. Do I need to take out the batteries while using the usb cord?

Is the GREFwTool program running? In settings, is scanner set to PSR-800 and firmware set to WS-1080? Try this:

With the scanner powered off and unplugged from the USB, put the scanner in CPU Update mode. This is done by pressing the Menu button on the scanner and plugging the scanner into the computer while holding the Menu button. The menu button is released after the scanner is plugged into the computer and the computer detects the scanner.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Is the GREFwTool program running? In settings, is scanner set to PSR-800 and firmware set to WS-1080? Try this:

With the scanner powered off and unplugged from the USB, put the scanner in CPU Update mode. This is done by pressing the Menu button on the scanner and plugging the scanner into the computer while holding the Menu button. The menu button is released after the scanner is plugged into the computer and the computer detects the scanner.

I have the greefwtool running I got the firmware updated

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have the greefwtool running I got the firmware updated

Make sure you use the WS-1080 EZ Scan software to update the DSP to version 3.0. DO NOT attempt to update the CPU with the EZ Scan software, just the DSP. When done, the DSP version should be 3.0 and the CPU should be 3.8. And the scanner should boot up with the Whistler logo.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I'm stuck on this DSP update. I turn off radio unplug cable than plug usb in and hit menu while usb is going into radio and I went to software go to update DSP and says exiting takes a mint than says radio not connected.

Boot Ver:F1.0
appl Ver:u3.8

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm stuck on this DSP update. I turn off radio unplug cable than plug usb in and hit menu while usb is going into radio and I went to software go to update DSP and says exiting takes a mint than says radio not connected.

Boot Ver:F1.0
appl Ver:u3.8

Turn radio off
connect USB cable to computer and radio
do not push menu or power.
Click "Updates" on EZ Scan software
Click on "Check for DSP Firmware Update"
The scanner should do what it needs to do to complete the update on its own.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Turn radio off
connect USB cable to computer and radio
do not push menu or power.
Click "Updates" on EZ Scan software
Click on "Check for DSP Firmware Update"
The scanner should do what it needs to do to complete the update on its own.

It has been years I done this to the radio. I'm updating my files see what I get on dmr

Status
Not open for further replies.