DMR in Fargo/Moorhead Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurch89

Premium Subscriber
I just got a Tytera MD-380, after all the posts and news about the firmware being reverse engineered. I know it doesn't do it now, but hoping someone comes up with DSTAR/P25/SystemFusion, etc for it.

I tried putting a couple of conventional DMR channels in, and can't seem to get it to decode properly. With DSD plus I'm able to see the Color Code and Talkgroup and Timeslot, but when I match these values in the programming, it still doesn't show anyone talking.

I've tried 2 different channels (Concordia Parking and West Fargo Busses), which were the only DMR channels I could find that were in the UHF spectrum. Neither can decode on the Tytera, but both decode just fine on DSDPlus.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there some magical setting I need to flip in the Tytera software so that I can receive these?

RayAir

I just got a Tytera MD-380, after all the posts and news about the firmware being reverse engineered. I know it doesn't do it now, but hoping someone comes up with DSTAR/P25/SystemFusion, etc for it.

I tried putting a couple of conventional DMR channels in, and can't seem to get it to decode properly. With DSD plus I'm able to see the Color Code and Talkgroup and Timeslot, but when I match these values in the programming, it still doesn't show anyone talking.

I've tried 2 different channels (Concordia Parking and West Fargo Busses), which were the only DMR channels I could find that were in the UHF spectrum. Neither can decode on the Tytera, but both decode just fine on DSDPlus.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there some magical setting I need to flip in the Tytera software so that I can receive these?

Unless they're using RAS your Tytera should be able to receive it.

Check your programming in your Tytera if RAS is not being used. DSD+ will show RAS on the bottom of the event log box. Look there.

lurch89

Premium Subscriber
RAS = Privacy/Encryption, correct?

If so, would I not be able to hear it over DSDPlus? I don't remember seeing anything RAS-related on the decoding, but I will look again tonight at home. I know i don't have anything privacy turned on on the radio.

I've reprogrammed it so many times that I may have fat fingered something.

Is there a good list of the settings for a conventional programming for the MD-380? As in, what settings to use if you'll be doing RX only.

lurch89

Premium Subscriber
I took screenshots of the 3 sections where I think I could go wrong.

The DB entry for the WFgo channel is:
463.91250 WQUK510 RM 6 CC WF SCHL BUS West Fargo School BUSSES - SLOT 1 DMR Schools

I determined it was TG1000 from DSD. I also put it to rx tg1 just in case.

Attachments

• channelinfo.jpg
    channelinfo.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 592
  • contactslist.PNG
    contactslist.PNG
    9 KB · Views: 573
  • grouplist.PNG
    grouplist.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 549

RayAir

RAS isn't encryption. It is a security key to keep rogue radios from accessing the repeater or listening to the repeater outbound. DSD+ isn't affected by RAS.

I looked at your programming and it looks OK. One issue I ran into recently was when I tried to program a CS700 for someone out of state. When I made a test ch to check with one of my DMR radios it would not rx unless I unchecked RX only. Never ran into that issue before. I ended up unchecking rx only and put the tx on low power on a freq where he could not interfere even if he inadvertantly hit PTT. It rx's fine now.
It was an older CS 700 with original fw so maybe it was a bug?

lurch89

Premium Subscriber
OK. The next question, which I'm hoping I'm wrong on, is that is there any way in DSD+ or otherwise to get the RAS code for a particular repeater, or is it that which makes a DMR repeater private?

Note, I'm not super eager to decode this particular repeater. Just want to make the most of not having a ham radio DMR repeater to play with.

RayAir

If they are in fact using RAS, you can continue to monitor the system with DSD+, it just very likely won't be practical to listen in with an actual DMR radio.

You would need to know the RAS key and then you would need a MotoTRBO radio and CPS. The RAS key is set by opening the "Security" tab in CPS. Scroll down to RAS and then you would create your key. The key has to be a minimum of 6 characters.

DSD cannot give you a RAS key value. From what I've heard the key is well protected and very difficult to try and crack.

Verify with DSD+ if you even have to worry about RAS, it could just be a simple programming mistake in your MD-380.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-04-16-50-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-04-16-50-01.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 520

lurch89

Premium Subscriber
OK, so here's what DSDPlus shows:
Code:
2016/02/05  06:47:43  DSD+ 1.101pt  [Public Release]
2016/02/05  06:47:43  DMR/MotoTRBO decoding enabled
2016/02/05  06:48:22  DCC=6  Group call; TG=1000  RID=1129   Slot=1  3s
2016/02/05  06:48:27  DCC=6  Group call; TG=1000  RID=1003   Slot=1  1s
2016/02/05  06:48:29  DCC=6  Group call; TG=1000  RID=1129   Slot=1  2s
2016/02/05  06:48:32  DCC=6  Group call; TG=1000  RID=1003   Slot=1  1s
2016/02/05  06:48:35  DCC=6  Group call; TG=1000  RID=1129   Slot=1  3s
2016/02/05  06:48:40  DCC=6  Group call; TG=1000  RID=1003   Slot=1  1s

I ran DSDPlus with:
Code:
DSDPlus -E -fr -i20000

I used FMP to get the input from an RTL-SDR. I'm not seeing anything related to RAS, and there aren't any errors on the decoding. Today I'll try removing the RX Only flag and see if that does it. I thought I had tried that, but it might have been with a bunch of other settings.

lurch89

Premium Subscriber
I unchecked RX only. It started to decode. I swore I tried that, but I guess not with the right combination.

Thanks for the help, RayAir!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
If it only works with RX Only *unchecked* then I would set the TX frequency to something way out if left field, like 404.0 or something like that.

lurch89

Premium Subscriber
That's what I ended up doing. Set it to something in the lower ham band, low power.

Unfortunately, I had to send back my MD-380 to get repaired. The mic on the radio didn't work, although it worked fine with a clip mic (which is how I initially used it). I'm DMR-less for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.