DMR in Northeastern NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaneBrooklyn

Premium Subscriber
Apologies if this is been asked before I didn't see a specific thread about it. I'm pondering getting a DMR radio and I live in Maplewood, not far from Newark. I was wondering if there are any DMR repeaters near me that would be easily reachable with a handheld unit. I see several repeaters listed but the closest one is in Montclair about 8 miles away and it says that it's not currently operational. According to repeaterbook the next closest repeater is in New York City so I'm not sure if that's an option. Anyone with experience using DMR in this part of the state with input would be greatly appreciated, Thank You white guys!

Zane
W3ROK

Analogrules

Any form of digital radio only works well in very short range. Think simplex. I highly doubt you'll be able to maintain a good signal from Maplewood to NYC via DMR unless you're using one hell of an antenna. My analog Baofeng can easily hit the Analog nyc repeaters without a problem from union county. Analog is always better and more reliable.

W2MB

I'm betting that you would be able to work the Manhattan repeater easily from Maplewood. It is located at a very good location. I've got DMR in the car here in cow country (Warren County) and when scanning, it is frequently hearing something from one of the repeaters in NW Jersey or eastern PA. I concur that analog is a better choice in areas or marginal signal, but I don't think it will be the case for you. Bottom line is, at the end of the day, HT's are frequently annoying to communicate with regardless of mode.

Check this site for more info: https://www.n2jti.net/repeaters.html (disregard the certificate error warning)

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I can hit K2MAK in Manhattan and K1DO in Martinsville with DMR no issue mobile from Cranford. So Maplewood shouldn't be an issue.

ZaneBrooklyn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys for all your help. Turns out I'm able to hit the Brooklyn dmr repeater just fine and have even done so with the rubber ducky as long as I'm near a window. That's about a 15 mile hike with 5 watts, not too shabby.

RadioComm

Premium Subscriber
NJ DMR

Thanks guys for all your help. Turns out I'm able to hit the Brooklyn dmr repeater just fine and have even done so with the rubber ducky as long as I'm near a window. That's about a 15 mile hike with 5 watts, not too shabby.

You may want to try the N2DCE repeater in Montclair on 447.225 - CC1. It appears to be back on the air and showing back up on Netwatch.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Any form of digital radio only works well in very short range. Think simplex. I highly doubt you'll be able to maintain a good signal from Maplewood to NYC via DMR unless you're using one hell of an antenna. My analog Baofeng can easily hit the Analog nyc repeaters without a problem from union county. Analog is always better and more reliable.

You obviously do not have a clue.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
^ This! :D

I've been able to hit the Orangeburg, NY machine from Carteret/Rahway on an HT easily...

I'm inside a building in Poughkeepsie NY, I can key and hear a DMR machine in Kent, NY on an HT with a stubby antenna. That is roughly 22-24 air miles.... Some people really have no clue on what they are talking about. I don't expect someone with a baofeng to know anything about digital modes.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
^ This! :D

I've been able to hit the Orangeburg, NY machine from Carteret/Rahway on an HT easily...

Saw a 30% usable (portable) coverage increase moving from a wide band analog system to a narrowband DMR system. And that's in a place "so flat you can watch your dog run away for two weeks" with a population density of 77 people per square mile. The funny thing about it all, the two systems were equally comparable in performance (same specs and output).

TLF82

Premium Subscriber

What's it like to be absolutely clueless? You've got no clue as to what you are speaking about.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber

So,...you memorized the test? Must have, because there is no logic or supportable theory in this statement.

iamhere300

You are funny. I take it you are just a troll, because no one, and I mean NO ONE could believe what you posted.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I have no problem hitting a repeater 25 miles away on dmr with a stubby. However on analog I have trouble getting into one that's 20 miles out. So I guess everyone's mileage will vary and it greatly depends on the repeater setup itself. But from all the info I've read and from what I experience with my radios I notice digital simplex typically out performs analog.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
In theory your range doesn't increase per se, but we have to look at the fundamentals of digital to understand that with digital signal/voice you are clear as clear can be until out of range. With analog it's different. Your voice is clear and as source signal becomes farther way it becomes distorted. Now as for higher megahertz transmissions do make a difference in more populated areas. No doubt a 700,800,or 900mhz system covers better in more urban areas and similar terrain then a lower band VHF system on the RF generated power.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
In theory your range doesn't increase per se, but we have to look at the fundamentals of digital to understand that with digital signal/voice you are clear as clear can be until out of range. With analog it's different. Your voice is clear and as source signal becomes farther way it becomes distorted. Now as for higher megahertz transmissions do make a difference in more populated areas. No doubt a 700,800,or 900mhz system covers better in more urban areas and similar terrain then a lower band VHF system on the RF generated power.

It really depends. Now it's more common for digital radio to outperform manufacturers specs. For instance, Motorola rated the XPR6550 (430-470 MHz) to 5% BER @ -117 dBm...the one I have tests 5% BER @ -123 dBm. So that's a 6 dB more sensitive receiver. Range is a two way street of both RX and TX. But like you said, digital has the advantage of being clear (relatively noise free) and once you pass that point where FEC can no longer keep up to fix errored packets things begin getting garbled. But not like you have to pull a signal out of background noise with analog...the DSP does it for you.

APX7500X2

He is just a total troll; No one with any brains would make those statements

Anyway, I find DMR to be far better in range than analog for audio, and with the DMR net up and running I have programmed my XPR6550 to roam and I can drive from NYC to Hartford and never lose connection. Very nice system

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
Baofeng dumb ***

Baofeng that says it all!

Analogrules

Yes it is a fact that analog signals travel further than digital signals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.