DMR in Tuscaloosa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randmaster

The Family Geek
Hello, all.

My, it's been so long since I've last been scanning the airwaves. But after a seven year hiatus and this Coronavirus mess going on, I decided to buy a BCD436HP and get back out there. I have heard new things (others still unchanged) and come across some unique transmissions--to me, at least. My Uniden has the DMR upgrade, and I'm quite impressed of what this scanner can do... and I'm still learning more about it.

Anyway, while scanning the bands, I come across two DMR frequencies (452.275 and 452.725) that look to belong to SmartRadio DMR as the control channels in Tuscaloosa. It looks as if it's trunked in the RRDB, but I can get conversations in the clear in Conventional mode. I tried programming them in a trunking mode, but I'm confused how to program them (MotoTRBO trunked or DMR One Frequency). I had them stored in both trunking modes, but I can't hear them. My scanner also asked for the LCNs for them in one trunking mode, but I thought that was used for EDACS and LTR...

Is there something I'm missing, or is best to just leave them in Conventional mode?

Last edited:

N4LX

The SmartRadio system should be programmed as a MotoTRBO Trunked system. Otherwise your scanner will not follow the conversations when they jump to another channel.

Randmaster

The Family Geek
Understood. So do I program just the control channels or all the frequencies? Is DMR trunking (CAP and CON systems) any different from P25 or LTR in terms of "Control Channel Only" programming?

EDIT: Scratch that. I got it working. I programmed all of them, and I'm actually picking up stuff now. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

N4LX

No problem!

Unlike P25 trunked systems, DMR trunked systems do not broadcast a band plan. So each frequency must be programmed with its corresponding LCN for the scanner to follow the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.