DMR in Washington and Holmes Co

Status
Not open for further replies.

packratjohn

Premium Subscriber
Hi Folks. My brother wants a scanner for his area, PD, FD, EMS, FHP, etc. He was fine with his analog RS handheld, but some of the agencies have gone to DMR. I'm a Ham, but haven't taken the DMR plunge, plus I am in Nevada...
So, if you have any tips or insight, or even have a unit for sale, let me know. Of course, this is assuming the agencies are NOT encrypted. That would kinda defeat the purpose.
Thanks all.
John

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
It is all listed in RRDB in their county listings. In Washington Co SO you'll hear Clear and ENC depending who is talking. HC seems all open. FHP no luck at all they are Full ENC since they are SLERS System. You'll need a scanner that will decode DMR.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I would recommend a Uniden BCD325P2 or a BCD996P2. They both come standard with Analog and P25 and are upgradable to DMR after a License Key purchase from Uniden. Looks like DMR is quite popular and a favored mode in Washington County.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Here are the counties in NWFL
Okaloosa Some are just moving to DMR or been on for awhile
Jackson is DMR WCSO is clear some units are ENC
Holmes is DMR seems all clear
Gulf is DMR PD/SO Enc Disp is clear
Washington is DMR I think some fd is on analog
Calhoun I don't know if the CCSO is on P25 or they moved to DMR
I got most or all when bands where opening or going through the area.

packratjohn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all. Pretty much what I thought. I will try to find one of the scanners you mentioned, but not a new one! I would be disappointed if we spent a chunk of money only to find it doesn't do everything we want. I think the encryption plus no FHP is the deal breaker.
Up here we are still conventional and analog EDACS, so my BCT15X works just fine. I'm sure it will all change one day.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
If you can find a used SDS100 or 200 for a good price, that would be the best option in case you wind up wanting to monitor P25 simulcast (or if they ditch the DMR and move to P25). I'm still surprised that the radio police permits public safety to utilize DMR.

N4KVE

What do you mean?
DMR was meant to be used by hotels, exposition halls, ticket agents at airports, & anything non first responder. Police, & fire are supposed to use P25 radios which can cost 10 times more per radio. Some smaller departments are cash strapped, & use DMR anyway.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
DMR was meant to be used by hotels, exposition halls, ticket agents at airports, & anything non first responder. Police, & fire are supposed to use P25 radios which can cost 10 times more per radio. Some smaller departments are cash strapped, & use DMR anyway.
+1 on that There is lots on DMR at PCB for hotels&motels. Seems more and more in my are doing that. The county I live in is still uses analog til the digital system is in place it might be a few more years.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I don't think that First Responders are supposed to use P25 as its really just an option in a catalog. Your correct on the standpoint of DMR not being made originally for Public Safety but it's the fact of the cost being so low compared to P25 that it is attractive to many public safety agencies. I know quite a few departments using DMR for their needs and It works for them because of the budget they are set on and the efficiency, I can run Primary and Secondary dispatch on one frequency divided by a slot which is way more effective IMHO.

If DMR use wasn't encouraged in public safety then I doubt that companies like Kenwood would be making Intrinsically safe radios in DMR models.

N4KVE

If DMR use wasn't encouraged in public safety then I doubt that companies like Kenwood would be making Intrinsically safe radios in DMR models.
IS radios aren’t made for police use. They are made for use in paint factories, oil drilling rigs, or any flammable environment. Matter of fact, a friend sold a bunch of radios to a cruise ship line. A year later, the insurance underwriter for the ship insisted they needed to use IS radios which meant selling the practically new radios, & replacing them with the same IS models.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
IS radios aren’t made for police use. They are made for use in paint factories, oil drilling rigs, or any flammable environment. Matter of fact, a friend sold a bunch of radios to a cruise ship line. A year later, the insurance underwriter for the ship insisted they needed to use IS radios which meant selling the practically new radios, & replacing them with the same IS models.
I never said that IS radios were used for Law Enforcement use. I said for public safety referring to Fire Departments taking them into a flammable environment. Anyway, this thread has slightly moved off-topic and it seems that OP's orginal questions has been answered.
:)

caterpillar16

With a basic DMR scanner or radio, you can listen to everything in Holmes and Washington County, with the exception of FHP, which operates on the SLERS system. All of the fire/ems/LEO agencies use unencrypted DMR. The fire departments in both counties still use analog for initial alert. Bonifay FD is 100% DMR.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I know on Washington County SO side once awhile you may hear ENC on certain RID/UID. I think in Jackson County I think some of their tac channels are ENC according to some members go through or live near by.

Status
Not open for further replies.